advertisement

Quad FM1

chiily

PFM Special Builder
I bought myself a model B, Quad FM1 (mono) tuner to keep me occupied through the long winter evenings, and obviously it needs a little work (that's why it was cheap). The previous owner told me that it sort of worked, but drifted off station and didn't have very clear audio.

Thanks to @martin clark for sending over a wedge of documentation...it took me a while to figure out that my FM1 was a B model...

PXL_20231211_190154239 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

It has previous had some work done, at least twice from what I can tell. The most recent was the previous owner replacing the resistor network of each valve's power. Here's a picture of the underside.

PXL_20231116_115428449 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

The Hunts capacitors are not in the best shape, cracked and turning quite waxy; due for replacement. A couple of other caps at the top of the above picture have been replaced in the life of the tuner, but I'll probably change those too.

And the FE:

PXL_20231116_115451968 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

For the moment I'm not going to touch the FE, though I've already measured some of the resistors' values and they are over the 20%/10% tolerance. I've emailed Quad and they have recommended to me a third party who is willing to update the FE and re-align the tuner if needs be.

I've put together a very simple PSU, looks very sparce in the box (Flatcap looks). I can't find the back of the front of the box atm! Yet to add the extra pair of 100uF/450V caps to the 47uF/450V ones already there. Choke courtesy of an old Radford amp I think.

PXL_20231228_145854882.MP by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Valve wise, all tested good apart from V5 the 6AU6, which was so very tired and V7, the ECC83, which tested good, but just a bit erratic on my CT160.

PXL_20231116_115523854 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

PXL_20231116_115543751 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

I did manage to service and calibrate my AVO CT160, and what fun and games that was! But the voltages are spot on now.

PXL_20231219_200308457.MP by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Next step is to replace the caps (all) and resistors (where out of tolerance), pop the valves back in (with a new 6AU6) and hook it up on a variac.

Last edited:
I owned one and a friend built a power supply.
A Maplin stereo decoder was used.
The tuner was eventually sold to Martin Clark.
He may well still own it...

@Martyn Miles - yes, I still do!

And it remains a joy yet; I use it with raw Mono output.

(sad to say - the supply it came with, utterly- immolated itself rapidly; since when it has run with a fully-regulated +175 vDC supply I built; and that must be 17-18yrs!) I still have the generous collection of spare valves you supplied.

ATB!

advertisement

Back