advertisement

Quad ESL57 refurbishment...

Well, my distortion is definitely the results of the arc burn - listening at very high volumes and with a very specific track (Useless (Kruder & Dorfmeister Remix) - Depeche Mode) I get some pretty blue lights from the area of the treble panel with damage...

If I understand the below link correctly (What Arcing Sounds Like section - great article; he has obviously done some destructive testing :)), this is the burning of charge carrying particles rather than actual arcing. I need to pop the cover off again and check I guess.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php?c=QUA&m=ESL-57&intlink=941-QUA-ESL_57_SP___-F-A01.htm

So, time to get into rebuilding panels - scares me shitless! I should add that they still sound fantastic, and still go way louder than my normal listening volume. I just want them working as well as they can.

Yank - shame you are not closer; I'd love a junked pair of ESLs to practice on before I rip my working panels to bits!

I re-commissioned my SE valve hybrid monos last night also and plugged them in. I need to do some work on the best taps to use, and check the bias - it has something (very good control) but loses out on dynamics compared to my ML No. 29 currently. It was 1am by then, so I went to bed.

Given that these SEs were the amps used in the best system I have ever heard (OK, it was ~17 or 18 years ago!), I will be disappointed if I cannot get the performance up. But it maybe that the (relatively) el cheapo Chinese 211 is the problem - anyone got a pair of GM70s they want to sell me? :)

Richard

Anyone made their own stands? Got any plans or photos? I quite fancy some on wheels to complete the vintage radiator look (mine have the bronze grills)!

Richard

Richard

DSC00680.jpg

These stands were made for me by a friend and they work very well. I have only just got the hang of this photo sharing so I will take some more pics and post later
Errol.

Sorry, I'm a technical numpty, so can't post a photo here. But my stacked 57s can be seen on the Naim Forum (currently on page 11 of the HiFi section).

This is how the stand is attached to the base of the speakers,
DSC00961.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

This is how they are set up in the room,
DSC00958.jpg

Errol

Thanks Errol - they look nice. I fancied something in wood, but I want to try and fit the below monoblocks onto the bottom of the frame as well, then metal might be a better choice. Food for thought...

Does anyone on here have experience of rebuilding ESL panels DIY?

Thanks, Richard

Errol

Is that an Icon PS3 in those last couple of pictures?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, they are the Ming Da MC 2006 phono pre-amp and its power supply. David Shaw of Icon is a consultant to this company and this pre looks to have a lot of his input including sharing the casework.
Errol.

Thanks Errol. What do you think of it?

I have the baby Icon phono and was thinking of looking at the new one. I'll have to check out the Ming Da as well.

Cheers,
Jonathan

3796662640_1a81e13b2d.jpg

Very involving, detailed and musical. It can reproduce a huge sound with, at times, a liquid walking bass. Responds well to tube rolling (which I have done) and it seems, component upgrades (which I haven't yet attempted) All hard wired with excellent layout and construction. Works well with the 401 RB600 DL160, and of course, the 57s.
Errol.

advertisement

Back