advertisement

Quad ESL 57 and UnitiQute?

AnthonyP

pfm Member
Has anyone out there tried this combination?

Or if not, any thoughts (in theory) about whether it could work or is a stupid idea?

They're two components I like the idea of and mean to try at some point, but until now I hadn't thought of trying them together.

Anthony.

I tried 57s with an AR 60 and then with Naim 32.5/110 monos. The advice from here was the AR would be the best but they woke up with the 110s, I'm not sure if it was the power or the resolution. They (the 57s) were good versions too and were at Scalford this year.

is that George J on the naim forum?

It is and I have listened to it system and it really sings. You don't need to lot of power, George has tried a 300 as well, but Naim and Quad work well.

The only thing to note is the speakers are almost touching and have 3 feet of space behind them!

Jono

They do - I have got 2805s powered by a modified 250 and fed by either a DAC V1 or a CDS3. very nice combination.

I used to occasionally run my Naim SL2's from a Qute and it did a surprisingly good job. SL2's not a recommended partner of course but i'm sure the 57's are a much easier load and will be great with the Qute, which despite its conservative power rating is a very gutsy performer unless big room filling volume is required, in which case the Quad's would give up before the amp.

Thanks for all the comments. Now I just need to work out whether my room is big enough. In truth I already know it isn't, or at least the space for speaker positioning isn't as at best I'll have them 18 inches from the back wall.

But that's probably a different thread.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for all the comments. Now I just need to work out whether my room is big enough. In truth I already know it isn't, or at least the space for speaker positioning isn't as at best I'll have them 18 inches from the back wall.

But that's probably a different thread.

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

Try them really close together, as in almost touching, for best effect in a small room. My friend even stacked which was weird but would have worked had his amp had a Mono option!

Jono

advertisement

Back