advertisement

Quad amps back from Quad factory service

Just came across this thread while searching about Quad 606 servicing and being in the process of buying a 606 mk 2. I'm contemplating getting the amp serviced by Quad straight away to give myself some peace of mind (and accepting that something could still go wrong when it's returned). I saw the comment about changing components to the 909 spec and just wondered what the logic was?

Thanks

Alchad

The logic is probably two fold. Number one it’s a slightly beefier transformer and the set of smoothing caps are bigger. So it’ll provide more current. Number 2 is they probably only stock 909 spec PSU parts given it’s interchangeable..

So it should be the best of both worlds with 606 boards and the larger 909 power supply. Sounds damn good I must say.

Mine had picked up some hum hence why they changed the PSU complete (and it would have maybe needed the big caps anyway), a standard service without the PSU swapped would likely be under a hundred quid.

You couldn’t buy the parts alone for the price they charge. If you wanted a full recap you could send it somewhere else but it would be a lot more money.

What you using for a pre..?

What you using for a pre..?
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Unfortunately not that much of an audiophile, I just use a Creek OBH 22 fed from a Cambridge Azur 640H music server currently feeding a Quad 405 and I’ve read for long time that the 606 mk 2 was one of the best, and as they say “ no money in shrouds”😀

That should work well for the 606? I was looking at one in the classifieds here, considering it.

That should work well for the 606? I was looking at one in the classifieds here, considering it.
Good news. Works for me, as I said on another post on this forum it has the added advantage of a remote control and avoids needing to constantly get up to adjust volume when my other half decides a track is too loud.😀

My 606/66 took closer to 11 weeks but so happy to have back in time for Xmas. Brought the new(to me) PMCs to life and the REL sub sounds better than ever!

I wonder if the current UK skills shortage applies here in terms of those who know what they're doing with electronics and can use a soldering iron is a factor in the wait (combined with high demand) ?
Would seem likely.
I think that Quad can service and repair pretty much everything they've produced is wonderful.

I'll be interested to read what you think about the serviced amps. I have a 34 and 306 which, whilst working fine, could probably do with a once over. I was under the impression that the Quad service department were a good bet if there was a specific fault but didn't routinely change components if they're within spec however old they are. Perhaps I'm wrong with that assumption

My 34/306 went to Amplabs in Worcester.
Back in just under two weeks.
I used Amplabs because they had done a superb job on a 303 for me.

The 306 just needed an overall, cleaning and recalibration.
A broken connection on an input socket and full set of smoothing capacitors and bootstrap capacitors.
Plus recalibration.
I had bought it with the intermittent fault, at a good price.

No negatity here, but I've always gone to Amplabs over Quad. I just feel Rob is more of an old school expert.
Another fan of Amplabs here. Rob did a superb job of completely renovating my 303/33/FM3 combo. It can be a fair bit more expensive than a basic QUAD service, but you have the choice, and Rob is a great bloke to deal with. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I did consider amplabs but I’m happy that it’s gone to Quad if nothing else as it’s had that full transformer and PSU cap replacement.

I imagine the best of both worlds might be Quad for a revision to the 909 spec power supply and then straight off to Amplabs for a full recap.. 🤪

I've been using Amplabs to service my Quad kit for many years (303, FM3, 405-2, 2 x 44, FM4) and Rob even serviced a Leak Stereofetic for me many moons ago.
Last year, I purchased a 2nd/hand(?) 606-2, which I foolishly, just 'plugged-in' to my 'older' upstairs system, which after 3 days unexpectedly just 'stopped working', and in the process appeared to 'take out' the 44 that it was connected to. I then foolishly connected a second 44 which appeared to suffer the same fate - DOH!!!
I contacted Rob regarding the 606-2, but he explained that as he was having difficulty sourcing "big smoothing caps" for 606's, he suggested that I contact Quad, which I did, and then 'hand delivered' the offending 606-2 to them last September.
However, as Rob had very kindly offered to give both 44's a 'good coat of looking at', I dropped them off on the 'return leg' of the trip to Cambridgeshire, and I'm happy to report that both 44's and the 606-2 were returned via courier before Christmas.
Upon their return, I was able to remove the 34 that had been substituted, and re-install the 'later' of the two 44's which in conjuction with the 405-2, has been happily 'singing away' since then, and given how good everything now sounds again, the offending 606-2 has been left in the 'plastic bag' that it was returned in.
Regards
Mike K.

advertisement

Back