advertisement

Quad 99 CDP-2

Thanks for all the contributions. I ended up buying the 99 CDP-2 that Hoopsontoast had listed in the classifieds.
Good points; solid feeling build, simple display I can read without having to fumble for my glasses & sounds excellent both as a CDP & DAC fed by my Digione Sig.
Bad points; mechanism is a little noisy when reading discs.
Does it sound as good as my Rega Apollo/DAC-R combo? Will have to do some more forensic listening tests to figure that out. 1st impressions are it definitely sounds a little warmer which some (not me) may interpret as duller. The fact I've barely stopped listening to music since I got it home kinda says it all.
Will live with it for a couple of weeks before deciding if it's a keeper but my initial feeling is that it will be staying put.
TS

Thanks for all the contributions. I ended up buying the 99 CDP-2 that Hoopsontoast had listed in the classifieds.
Good points; solid feeling build, simple display I can read without having to fumble for my glasses & sounds excellent both as a CDP & DAC fed by my Digione Sig.
Bad points; mechanism is a little noisy when reading discs.
Does it sound as good as my Rega Apollo/DAC-R combo? Will have to do some more forensic listening tests to figure that out. 1st impressions are it definitely sounds a little warmer which some (not me) may interpret as duller. The fact I've barely stopped listening to music since I got it home kinda says it all.
Will live with it for a couple of weeks before deciding if it's a keeper but my initial feeling is that it will be staying put.
TS
Have you tried the cdp2 thru the dac r ?

Have you tried the cdp2 thru the dac r ?
Not yet, I'm just enjoying it for now. Will do some comparisons before deciding which components to keep. My feeling is I would like to keep things as simple as possible hence the looking at the one box solution. This is also partly driven by the fact my CD to streaming listening ratio is slowly edging more towards the latter so I'm viewing the Quad as a DAC that can double as a CD player rather than the other way round.
TS

Not yet, I'm just enjoying it for now. Will do some comparisons before deciding which components to keep. My feeling is I would like to keep things as simple as possible hence the looking at the one box solution. This is also partly driven by the fact my CD to streaming listening ratio is slowly edging more towards the latter so I'm viewing the Quad as a DAC that can double as a CD player rather than the other way round.
TS
I used my cdp2 with spdif/ usb converter from tablet into quad 909 using the cdp as a pre amp and dac..sounded very good

advertisement

Back