advertisement

QUAD 521F Power Amp

cooky1257

pfm Member
Just got one of these BBC spec'd babies off t'bay in really good condition.
Looking for a second one to complete my bi-amp experiment...

After a few searches they do get mentioned in despatches as very good amps so shouldn't be any disasters on the way..unless anyone can put me right?

Too late! I just 'won' a Quad 240 to go on the HF.
Suggestions recommendations/info will be much appreciated.

Buy more!
ActiveQuadSetup.jpg

240 for tweeters
520f for mid-bass
510 for each subwoofer

I had one loose connector on the 240 and I hard wired the 510 output transformers to 4 ohms as I didn't have the cards to plug into the back.
520 is a great amp and aparently only 180 of the 240s where made.
Do you have the manuals with the circuit diagrams?

Here's a few more photos of the insides:-

quad-240_003%5b1748%5d.jpg

520fint1%5b1762%5d.jpg

It would appear they are both quite rare beasts. I have manuals but no schematics.
That's a nice rack you have there;-)

this website has lots of info; the 520f manual has the circuit diagrams at the end of it.

Not a lot of info on the 521f though; from memory I think it just has an earth panel so the BBC could connect it to the technical earth.

If you have any pictures or scans you'd like to add to the site I'm sure they would be welcome; there is a note at the bottom of the page.

All the best,

Steve.

Thanks for the link-that's where I downloaded my manuals from.

Anyone know what the light greeny/grey/brown (main section on 240)colour is and is there a touch up paint to match it?

240 has arrived. Interesting switch off and noise levels.. Whoosh, woosh left and right then snap, snap.
Is it supposed to do this?
System noise is down to input sensitivity being set at 0.5V I think, I need to switch it.

Sounds really good though. 'Easy' is the way I'd describe its sound, just nice.

I'm a bit concerned about the noise as it's present with nothing connected on the inputs. Any Quad gurus here, some may have experience of this?

I think you need to get the oscilloscope out. But if the noise is both channels and independent of the level controls the options narrow.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I tried it again just now and on switch off one channel gave out the most almighty screech I thought I'd lost a comp driver, I've contacted the seller as this is defo a faulty piece of kit.

What a bloody palava, the other Quad amp I bought of ebay, a 521F, hasn't even arrived though fedex say its been delivered, not exactly a fun introduction to Quad amps thus far...

Can anyone tell me if Quad still offer the 'fixed price plus parts' service?

I'm sure the amp needs a repair but want it brought up to scratch too-it looks like six of the large caps are bulging so have a feeling this is going to hurt.

Quad are very reasonable indeed, though don't overlook Rob Holt either, he does top notch Quad work (I sat and watched him replace every single cap in my 34/306!).

Keep us up to date on this if you can; I too have a faulty 240 in a box somewhere (one channel noisy and down in level etc) and often wonder the cost involved in getting it up to scratch, and if Quad would fix it etc.

I have a Quad 707 power amp which also uses Speakon connectors. I think the 707 is the only domestic Quad amp which uses such connector.

Can anyone tell me if Quad still offer the 'fixed price plus parts' service?

I'm sure the amp needs a repair but want it brought up to scratch too-it looks like six of the large caps are bulging so have a feeling this is going to hurt.

They did about 8 months ago when I asked.

Thanks Jay.
The seller has agreed to reduce the price a bit which is decent of him, I've fired off an email to Quad, see what they say, will keep you posted.

Speakons on the 240, XLR's on the 521 with male XLR inputs-hmmm pita.

advertisement

Back