advertisement

Quad 44 won't switch on. Any ideas?

faz

spaceman
As per the title - my Quad 44 will no longer turn on after pushing the on/off switch. It did this occasionally in the past, but would work after a couple more button prods. This time however, nothing.

Any ideas? I've checked fuses which are all OK.

Mike

I opened the 44 up only to find the switch is encapsulated in some sort of plastic unit. So not able to see anything.

In the meantime I've plugged my old NuForce Icon amp in and I'm starting to realise how much detail the Quad stuff misses out on. The Icon is not perfect (lacks a bit of warmth) but its 12watts powers my Tannoys OK.

I'm thinking it's time to move on from Quad to something more up to date. Suggestions gratefully received. I certainly don't need loads of power. Just a bit more warmth to the sound and I'd be happy.

Cheers
Mike

I opened the 44 up only to find the switch is encapsulated in some sort of plastic unit. So not able to see anything.

In the meantime I've plugged my old NuForce Icon amp in and I'm starting to realise how much detail the Quad stuff misses out on. The Icon is not perfect (lacks a bit of warmth) but its 12watts powers my Tannoys OK.

I'm thinking it's time to move on from Quad to something more up to date. Suggestions gratefully received. I certainly don't need loads of power. Just a bit more warmth to the sound and I'd be happy.

Cheers
Mike

Prima Luna...integrated or pre/power. There's a type out there that'll suit you. A heavenly match with Tannoys. :cool:

Prima Luna...integrated or pre/power. There's a type out there that'll suit you. A heavenly match with Tannoys. :cool:

I did try a PrimaLuna about a year ago. I found it a bit sterile and uninvolving. It went back to the dealer. However I subsequently heard from a fellow pink fisher that the stock Prima Luna valves are not that great. Whether that's true , I don't know. I was also recommended a Unison Research amp (can't remember which one though). I think I'm going to struggle to justify spending more than a grand. I do think it's time to move on from the Quad gear though.

Mike

I finally got the 44 working! Managed to access the on/off switch and sprayed some switch cleaner inside. However I was mindful that this is probably not a permanent fix. So, I sourced a much later grey coloured version of the 44. Huge improvement in the sound. Much clearer than my old 44 and the volume on both CD and vinyl is much more controllable. I can only assume Quad made some significant improvements to their pre-amps as time went on.

I'm currently using the stock Quad MM phono card with Ortofon T5 step-up transformers so that I can listen to my records via an Audio Technica AT33PTG ii. I do have a Quad MC Phono card which I suppose I could swap over, but I'm wondering if I'd be better of with some better step-up transformers.

Mike

I finally got the 44 working! Managed to access the on/off switch and sprayed some switch cleaner inside. However I was mindful that this is probably not a permanent fix. So, I sourced a much later grey coloured version of the 44. Huge improvement in the sound. Much clearer than my old 44 and the volume on both CD and vinyl is much more controllable. I can only assume Quad made some significant improvements to their pre-amps as time went on.

I'm currently using the stock Quad MM phono card with Ortofon T5 step-up transformers so that I can listen to my records via an Audio Technica AT33PTG ii. I do have a Quad MC Phono card which I suppose I could swap over, but I'm wondering if I'd be better of with some better step-up transformers.

Mike
What version is your Quad MC module (printed round back)?

Starting with s/n 23000 the MC module options were reduced to 3 (from 6!); 4A, 4B, and 4C, each with the same input loading spec (100Ω//22nF *) but different input sensitivities. Specifically, these are 200uV, 100uV, and 400uV respectively for 4A, 4B, and 4C.

AT33PTG/2 output voltage is spec'd at 0.3mV, therefore, 4C is likely to perform best wrt gain (and likely overload margin). Whether this sounds better than T5 step-up transformers into Quad's MM module only your ears can decide, let alone what better transformers might bring.

In the meantime, have you experimented with MM input sensitivity settings beneath the window atop the 44? Looking at Ortofon T5 specs, gain at 3Ohm//47K is 26dB, therefore, with the AT33PTG/2 having 10R coil impedance you may want to experiment with setting the input sensitivity such that the total approaches optimal gain (plus leaving a decent overload margin), and have the 180pF caps in circuit for better resistance to noise (see pages 6 & 7 of the manual here).

* Likely a typo, as 22nF equates to 22000pF, whereas, 2.2nF equals 2200pF, the latter a more likely capacitance choice for MC cartridge loading.

Last edited:
Reactions: faz
My Icon Stereo 20SE might suit you, and would cost considerably less than £1000.

https://iconaudio.com/stereo-20se

You would need a phono stage and would have to come to Shrewsbury to collect it, though... I don't drive and wouldn't trust couriers with it even in its original box.

What version is your Quad MC module (printed round back)?

Starting with s/n 23000 the MC module options were reduced to 3 (from 6!); 4A, 4B, and 4C, each with the same input loading spec (100Ω//22nF *) but different input sensitivities. Specifically, these are 200uV, 100uV, and 400uV respectively for 4A, 4B, and 4C.

AT33PTG/2 output voltage is spec'd at 0.3mV, therefore, 4C is likely to perform best wrt gain (and likely overload margin). Whether this sounds better than T5 step-up transformers into Quad's MM module only your ears can decide, let alone what better transformers might bring.

In the meantime, have you experimented with MM input sensitivity settings beneath the window atop the 44? Looking at Ortofon T5 specs, gain at 3Ohm//47K is 26dB, therefore, with the AT33PTG/2 having 10R coil impedance you may want to experiment with setting the input sensitivity such that the total approaches optimal gain (plus leaving a decent overload margin), and have the 180pF caps in circuit for better resistance to noise (see pages 6 & 7 of the manual here).

* Likely a typo, as 22nF equates to 22000pF, whereas, 2.2nF equals 2200pF, the latter a more likely capacitance choice for MC cartridge loading.
I'm still experimenting, but will update here in due course.

Cheers
Mike

advertisement

Back