advertisement

Quad 306 set up

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
One for sale near me...not cheap but looks cool, 306 power amp with matching pre and tuner. Are they any good? What would be a good price?

Not the best in terms of ultimate resolution and detail but on the flip side a beautifully warm presentation. The tilt controls on the 34 are a marvel, subtle but noticeable. Check eBay sold items for current valuations. Bought wisely you'll lose nothing or little if sold on. Serviced units with provenance are best.
Everybody who has a passion for hi fi should try a Quad combination.

You get this instead of a rude reply....."Quad, are they any good ?" I dispair ! :rolleyes: (just to confirm, humour !)

I have nice experience with original Quad kit (non Chinese made)
303, 306, 33, 34, FM4, 606 and others.
Quad UK factory still service the kit.

The 34/306 system looks and sounds fab. I think @Ianp has it pretty well nailed above.

I'm confident that my Elite pre/power sounds better but it doesn't look anywhere near as good. I have an eye on a 34/306/fm4 stack near me as it happens, though I really shouldn't.

Not the best in terms of ultimate resolution and detail but on the flip side a beautifully warm presentation.

The thing with Quad kit is it sounds absolutely fine through Quad ESLs, which are amongst the best and most revealing speakers ever made! ESLs will tell you everything about bad kit upstream. An uncoloured open window.

Quad gear is excellent as others have said.

I’ve owned lots through the years, including the ESL63s and 989s, together with the amps, cd and tuners that Quad had in their range from the same time period - 33/303, 34 and 44, 405/2, and 909.

I still have a 99 series set up as a small secondary system.

Above all, Quad as a company will look after you, and are able to still service and repair the majority of their legacy equipment.

The 306 is a virtually bullet proof design, is flexible in what it can be partnered to, and sounds great.

Budget for between £200 - 300 per box, if working - but look out for cosmetic damage especially on the front fins of the 306, many of which have had tell tale knocks over the years!

Buy with complete confidence, sound in the knowledge that you will always be able to sell it on if the time comes (usually at no real loss) - AND - above all, never be left with an obsolete, unrepairable ‘door stop’.

I had a 34 and 405-2 in the early 80's as a student (I say that with astonishment, not as a boast).

I still have the 405-2 in NetAudio 3 guise and have sought out a 306, 34 and FM4. It's georgeous kit, aesthetically and musically. As other's have said, it's bulletproof and will give years of glorious musical enjoyment. FWIW, I can tell you how to get the correct colours it it needs touching up. Small scuffs or chips on the fins can be restored. Bent or broken fins... walk away.

If you can pick it up, buy it!

If you move it on, you're very unlikely to lose any money.

Ça:

Lh6IvU6.jpg

The FM4 will definitely need a service at Quad which isn’t much. Worth about £80-150

306 is a lovely power amp and one of their best designs. It works great in most systems where you don't need a ton of power or drive sub 4 Ohm loads.
Serviceable too, nothing wild or whacky inside.

I meant the British built Quad equipment.
No way would I consider the Chinese built kit.
I'd have agreed with you up until recently Martyn. Acquired a 909 a month or so ago, it's a stunning thing. It doesn't however have that 'classic' feel about it though.

I'd have agreed with you up until recently Martyn. Acquired a 909 a month or so ago, it's a stunning thing. It doesn't however have that 'classic' feel about it though.
The early 909 were UK built and just an evolution of the 606/707, so is it the general styling that doesn't hit the spot?

You wouldn't be alone, my other half said my silver 909 looked like a small photocopier 😅

I meant the British built Quad equipment.
No way would I consider the Chinese built kit.
Their latest stats are way better put together than their slightly rickety predecessors, the 63. Whether they last any longer remains to be seen as in the end it comes down to those fragile panels.

advertisement

Back