advertisement

[WTD] Quad 10L Speakers

Freind has just picked up a pair of these for reasonable money
Spendor made them they were around £379 ,a spendor 3/5 r or r2 maybe easier to find but will be dearer. He is very happy,most piano finish quad speakers have fading to the clear piano finish laquer where the sun gets to them.
Happy hunting.

Freind has just picked up a pair of these for reasonable money
Spendor made them they were around £379 ,a spendor 3/5 r or r2 maybe easier to find but will be dearer. He is very happy,most piano finish quad speakers have fading to the clear piano finish laquer where the sun gets to them.
Happy hunting.

The 10L don't have a piano finish and I think they were a bit more expensive than £375 new (US reviews state $1300 - 1500).

I have a pair here that I could possibly be persuaded to sell at some point but only if I could replace them with something of similar quality at a similar price, and that's not so easy!

I seem to recall then being priced around £600-800. A very good, under-rated speaker. The 77 system they were sold to go with was a decent bit of kit and I’m pretty certain was the last bit of kit made in Britain before Verity took production over to China.

They were released in 1996 for £699. Designed by Quad and made by Spendor to replicate their ESL sound in a stand mount speakers. Sealed transmission style cabinet in yew. Look lovely. Sound terrific but small cabinet and small drivers mean limited bass response. Lovely mid range and treble. Very sweet sounding for acoustic and jazz but they don’t rock and they need to be in a small-ish room as they won’t fill anything bigger. Had a pair on the end of Rega amplification which worked really well.

Often on the look out for some 10L. They never come up for sale second hand or on ebay. Loads of 11Ls but they aren’t of interest to me.

I have a boxed pair I bought about 5 years ago and only recently started using them for TV sound. I wonder how many pairs were sold. Maybe people just hang on to them, boxed they don't take up much cupboard space if unused.

Rather tatty pair on eBay at the moment in a very unusual finish….. Most certainly not yew.

As I understand it the earliest ones had the nextel finish (to match the 77 system) - I guess they then realised that it's not very attractive and switched to yew, which is vastly nicer.

Those are pretty cheap though (link here).

Just realised that the position of the drivers on the front baffle is different to the later ones, as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back