advertisement

Qobuz studio masters stream

longtiger62

longtiger62
Some tracks are now available in studio masters 24/96 format to subscribers of Qobuz Hi-Fi stream.

I've downloaded to my playlist 24bit masters by Pink Floyd, Green Day and The Flaming Lips
and the quality of the recordings are a marked improvement over the regular
16bit lossless stream.

Has anybody else found this?

Sometimes, but by no means always. Perhaps the way to go is to seek out stuff you really like on CD/vinyl, then see if a higher res is available to stream. But it's a pain to then find that you can't download stuff due to geographical restrictions. And I'd advise against just downloading blind without listening first. Tried a Roberta Flack playlist for instance and though she had been possessed by a banshee!

I'll have a play when I get home on my office system.

I run Qobuz on two different systems, the main HiFi and an office system - both Mac based. After installing the Yosemite beta on the HiFi system the Qobuz desktop program no longer works, so I'm limited to the web interface on that particular system. I've let Qobuz know about the issue.

Are you sure they are playing in 24 bit? - I selected the 24 bit version of the Division bell in the windows 8.1 desktop app and it played at CD quality according the now playing view.

CJ

I was given a 2 week trial of Qobuz via Audio T, but ended up not using their "cd quality" service as it would be £20/month afterwards and I'm not going to pay that. I used the ordinary £10 service instead and didn't see any advantages over my current £10 Spotify for me, but if there was some consensus that the better quality stream is really a big improvement, I might reconsider.

Well the better quality stream is the same as playing a CD and the lower quality the same as MP3 so you can try the difference for yourself in your own system by feeding it a CD and the same music as an MP3.

CJ

I was given a 2 week trial of Qobuz via Audio T, but ended up not using their "cd quality" service as it would be £20/month afterwards and I'm not going to pay that

Isn't that 20 Euros rather than £20? That's what I pay, so around £16. Still more expensive than Spotify, but I find the Qobuz Jazz and Classical selection larger, and it's better organised - wrt the album/artist/track names.

Would be nice to have ECM and Hyperion available to stream though.

Well the better quality stream is the same as playing a CD and the lower quality the same as MP3 so you can try the difference for yourself in your own system by feeding it a CD and the same music as an MP3.

CJ

Ah but my ripped CDs sounded better than the CDs themselves, and I could swear they sound different depending on which drive they're playing from, so I'm really looking to be convinced that every album will sound obviously better on the higher quality service. :confused:

Can someone who knows Qobuz please tell me if you can sign up for a month only and how easy is it to cancel, I used to have a Spotify premium account and a month at a time and an easy cancel were plus points, I do fancy a go at Quobuz, I've heard it and it does sound good.

I think you can have a trial period or you could when I first subscribed. I am a Spotify Premium user but have barely touched it since signing up to Qobuz. The improvement in sound quality is obvious. The jazz and classical choice is very good and the catalogue is growing quickly. Integrated into my Squeezebox system with IPeng it is a pleasure to explore and use.

Some tracks are now available in studio masters 24/96 format to subscribers of Qobuz Hi-Fi stream.

I've downloaded to my playlist 24bit masters by Pink Floyd, Green Day and The Flaming Lips
and the quality of the recordings are a marked improvement over the regular
16bit lossless stream.

Has anybody else found this?

I'm playing the HD Division Bell on iMac with the Qobuz app and all I get is 16/44.1 either as a download or a stream - scratches head :confused:

I'm playing the HD Division Bell on iMac with the Qobuz app and all I get is 16/44.1 either as a download or a stream - scratches head :confused:
Qobuz desktop into squeezebox touch (enhanced digital output)The Division Bell
HD 24/96 Studio masters,to hi fi system. Sounds great.

Improvement on regular 16bit lossless feed as its easy to compare tracks side by side on a playlist.

But what format does Qobuz Desktop say it is playing? When I play the HD 24 bit/96kHz Division Bell Qobuz desktop says it is playing CD quality flac 16 bit 44.1KHz

CJ

advertisement

Back