advertisement

Qobuz and HD albums.

RobFTM

pfm Member
Morning.

I’ve bought a Linn Selekt and I decided to get myself a Qobuz subscription. I’m very happy thus far, its very quick to load, no dropouts detected yet and I’ve not been able to search for something that’s not been there.

Anyhow my problem which I’ve tried to search this site and the web in general but I can’t find an answer so I’m hoping someone here can help.
Is there a quick and easy way of sorting the HD albums on Qobuz?

If I search on, for example, AC/DC, I get a long list of albums some duplicated some more so, which are different versions of the same. You may see the original, the deluxe reissue, the remastered, the remastered in HD for example.

Can I just sort on only HD? It clearly not the end of the world as the Linn app tells you which is HD but only after you’ve seleketed it (see what I did there). If its not the one I want I can delete it from the playlist but this seems clunky.

Thanks.

I suggest not to filter just for hi-res. For older music the best version might well be a particular earlier CD-quality master. For newer releases normally there's one master - which Qobuz will just list as hi-res if there.

Last edited:
if you're using the Qobuz app then no, not sure about the Linn software. All of the AC/DC catalogue is in Hi Res on the Qobuz app even Bak in Blak 😉

I wouldn’t overly worry about hi-res vs 16/44.
My hearing isn’t what it was admittedly but a lot of the time I really don’t get much difference if any.
I use Roon & Qobuz into my Linn Akurate/Katalyst.
When I select an album it shows the different versions available.
Far more important to me personally is which version master & remix etc it is rather than whether it’s hi-res or “just” red-book.
Only my opinion!

1 - don’t use the Linn app. It’s pish.

2 - as above. What matters is the mastering. Most of the CD quality masters are superior to the Hi-Res ones. Occasionally the reverse is true but not often enough to be concerned.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the tip re mastering etc rather than HiRes or not. I hadn't considered this but I know its more important. For example I have to say the remastered version of Morrissey Your Arsenal is horrid - the OG is much better (just as well I have the record and no nasty quips about my artist choice please!).

Mike - if not the Linn app then what? - Genuine question.
I have locally stored music and I've only got Qobuz since I bought the Selekt. Is there a way of playing both without the Lin app?

Thanks for the replies.- if not the Linn app then what? -
I have locally stored music and I've only got Qobuz since I bought the Selekt. Is there a way of playing both without the Lin app?
I use Roon, which is very easy & slick & allows you to choose from your own ripped cd or a Qobuz version of an album, as well as giving HD &/or CD quality options. I think it’s excellent. As a result I never use the linn app.
However, it’s expensive.
Audirvana is an option which does a similar thing & I believe it’s a fair bit cheaper.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I thought Roon would do the job but that means a "better" NAS doesn't it? I suspect that my OK QNAP wouldn't be powerful enough to run Roon. I've just seen that the Roon Nucleus which is now discontinued and was £1700. Then there is the subscription so that's a lot of money to consider especially after just paying a shedload for the Selekt. At the moment this may be a step too far.
I'll have a chat to Jon at Ripcaster to get his thoughts.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I thought Roon would do the job but that means a "better" NAS doesn't it? I suspect that my OK QNAP wouldn't be powerful enough to run Roon. I've just seen that the Roon Nucleus which is now discontinued and was £1700. Then there is the subscription so that's a lot of money to consider especially after just paying a shedload for the Selekt. At the moment this may be a step too far.
I'll have a chat to Jon at Ripcaster to get his thoughts.
You can try Roon on any old laptop or pc or Mac you happen to have - there’s a free trial so you’ve little to lose. You only might need a powerful dedicated server if you hammer it with lots of DSP and many zones. Otherwise it can be run on quite modest machines or NAS’s.

I’m not sure, but I think Linn Kazoo is OpenHome based, so maybe apps like Bubble and even the Lumin app could work. Roon have brought out a new cheap £500 server, though there is still the sub of course.

Audirvana might be the best compromise, it’s a good app.

Plenty to ponder - thanks all. I have to say having Qobuz has opened up a new world and I wish I'd got it sooner. Now to investigate Roon and Audirvana.

I run Roon on a macmini, it’s a few years old now. It’s not used for any other purpose other than music storage & management.
lt does the job perfectly well.
I’ve got a mate who uses Audirvana & Tidal from a Macmini & he’s very happy with it.
I think there’s free trial periods for both audirvana & Roon so give it a go.
I’m not sure what the benefits are over & above a macmini of buying the dedicated room server to be honest.

Linn App is fine but to my ears after trying Roon and Audirvāna ,the latter sounds best of the three but Audirvāna is bloody clunky....you choose😀

advertisement

Back