advertisement

Q for Garrard 301/401 with Rega arm type users

Those plinths look great. Is the cheaper 401 version unvarnished? I'm thinking that one of those with the top painted a matte black would look awesome...

In terms of mounting arms I was wondering whether it would it be possible to start off with an RB250 derivative on a SoundSupports type plate (see http://www.soundsupports.com/Rega_Spacer_Mounting_Plate.htm) and later go to an SME M2 309, just swapping to the equivalent SME plate?

Jim

Forgive me if these are very old questions, long answered, I have just found this excellent site. Can anyone instruct me on RB250 nut tightness? The Rega/OL site makes the point that the nut should not be too tight. I remember when I was learning to cook getting very cross about the comment "cook until done..." and this seems like a similar sort of thing. I have built a plinth for a 301 using 45mm oak and I shall experiment with MDF although most people seem to think 301s need a hard material. Any tips on the interface material between the arm base and the plinth top? Also - last question I promise - I have +/- £100 in the budget for a cartridge..... any suggestions? This is a budget issue, if I could afford more I would! Suspension is via squash balls and spring egg cups........ Current desire is to run through an Arcam 9 to replace existing Merdian stuff of 25 year vintage so I will probably need an MC for the time being. Cheers, Francis

Hi Francis,

The plinth sounds interesting! Any pics?

The standard PFM answer re cartridge would be a Denon DL110/160 or maybe a 103.

Jim

Well the whole plinth is in bits still so it will not be representative but I'll stick it together and take a picture. If I can then work out how to display it I will put it up. Many thanks for the cartridge advice. Based on the various reviews I have read I shall go with the DL160 through the MC input.

The Rega/OL site makes the point that the nut should not be too tight. I remember when I was learning to cook getting very cross about the comment "cook until done..." and this seems like a similar sort of thing.

Very true. The general consensus seems to be that 'not too tight' translates as finger tight, then a quarter turn with a spanner. My solution is to use the very elegant Michell finger nut, which should be tightened to finger tightness only (clue's in the name, huh?) It's also less fiddly to use, being nice and long.

advertisement

Back