advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

I don’t have a preamp and my system sounds great but then I expect my DAC is also much better as is the way it implements vol control. It’s an overpriced European model though.

Perhaps the brutal honesty of the ATCs isn't the ideal compliment to the rest of your system, as I remember R50 s were rather soft, forgiving and slow(ish) with a rather nice breathy low bass....?

I think there is an obvious miss match between a £900 DAC & a £15k pair of high end speakers. I can’t really understand why the OP would make such a leap without careful auditioning.

Anyway, I would probably look at trying a pre- amp with a properly balanced connection. An ATC pre would be an obvious match, isn’t there one for sale on here?

Of course you may just not like the speakers, as an ATC lover myself I find this hard to believe but tastes massively differ.

Perhaps the brutal honesty of the ATCs isn't the ideal compliment to the rest of your system, as I remember R50 s were rather soft and slow(ish) with a rather nice breathy low bass....?
That is their reputation but not my experience. They have scale, dynamics, tuneful bass and a fast pace. Plenty of toe tapping going on.

Reactions: irb
Can I just say I very much doubt a modern thousand pound DAC is causing a problem here. It’s going to be 9/10ths of perfect.

There’s something else going on.

Also, adding an expensive pre amp is not going to improve on the DAC output.

It’s probably the room or the speaker placement.

I run my 40a’s through an Anthem mrx 740 with xlr to rca adapter then RFC interconnect’s I don’t believe I’d get better through a balanced connection🤨
I’d gladly try your 50’s and see🤣

I don’t have a preamp and my system sounds great but then I expect my DAC is also much better as is the way it implements vol control. It’s an overpriced European model though.
I’ve heard some great systems which go straight from DAC to active ATCs. The point I was trying to make is that our enquirer has changed his speakers-and-amps (unavoidable if going active) which is a big enough change in itself, and at the same time omitted a pre…. So it’s really hard to work out what might be the weak point in the chain. Reinstalling the pre, even temporarily, might have helped to narrow down the cause of the issue.

@TheFlash I did re-install the Orca pre-amp but observed no dramatic improvement in the sound, and I tested this combination with all three DACs. There was buzzing inteference that must have been due to the adaptation from unbalanced to balanced.

Just how does a preamp control channel separation when the source outputs separate left and right channels already? It can't separate them any further.

You’re manipulating the signal in the amp stage anyway, it’s not the same as from the dac output

There is some more detail and air and sound staging,
What on earth does that mean? These are hifi nonsense terms. Have you ever sat within ten metres of a Steinway, or a string quartet, or an orchestra, or a rock band, or a jazz group and heard “air” or “sound staging”?. Real music, real musicians, sound solid, real, enormous, they make your soul shake, they arouse you, they make you feel more. You don’t buy ATCs for “air”, you buy them for musical credibility, for a visceral connectedness to the music that transports you. If you don’t feel that, sell them, they are wasted on you. Buy some stupid hifi rubbish, spend lots of money on cables, and listen to “air”.

Why to judge sound quality then?
Fair question but the buzzing was low level enough that any dramatic change in sound quality would have been heard.

Btw, what is a power supply of a source? I hope it’s not a standard out of the box smps? :)
The Qutest has a SMPS wall wart while the other two have their own internal power supplies.

I'll re-install the pre-amp tomorrow and have another listen. I'll see if I can get a different set of unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR cables to use.

advertisement

Back