advertisement

Putting the Smoke Back In

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered

Having repaired the lightning-damaged Stirling "LS3/5A"s, now it's time to address the Naim NAP110.

Back in 2016 I received very kind donations from @hacker and @John_73, today I have finally gotten* around to installing them:

zg6r7uH.jpg

43C9fGK.jpg

Since the image links in the old thread are broken, here are some before shots for reference:

oyHR6ag.jpg

CVpo0nk.jpg

qDTu8jf.jpg

BTW, the white blob on the blue wire which I had assumed to be heat shrink from a previous repair, was actually a melted insulator for the 2.8mm spade, and it took some patience to remove it.

*I know "gotten" rankles many UK English speakers, but I understand it's coming back.

The new boards are installed, the connector is replaced, now I just need to find where I've hidden my NAIM cables so I can test it. If it works, this amp along with a NAP42 and a pair of Stirling speakers will be pressed back into service to provide sound for TV.

Were they powered up when the lightning struck?
I don't think they need to be, the electromagnetic pulse of a nearby strike may be enough to induce massive spikes via the antennas that are the speaker leads. I've fixed enough of these to hear anecdotally that this happened.

MJS, that may well be, but being powered up really doesn't help and the trail of destruction far worse.
So always turn kit off when not in use.

Sorry, I didn't make the point clear. Turning it off may not be enough, I always disconnect the speaker leads too.

advertisement

Back