advertisement

Pub beer prices

I have been in one or two of such 'clubs' in my time, quite recently in fact.

Desperately depressing is the term I would use.

It was like drinking in a scene from Get Carter.

Chilled white wine for the ladies? "Doreen...Doreeeen, have we got such a thing...yes Doreen, chilled white wine?....No sorry we don't have any!"

Haha....very funny. I had similar thoughts when I visited one recently.

The ones I've (rarely) visited tend to have a severe shortage of females too. Not that I'm out on the pull or anything like that anymore but I'm not one to enjoy an establishment that's a bit too much of a 'sausage fest'.....

I am very pleased at the increasing interest in proper beer, IPA and the like. Since the 80s (I think) lager sales have been growing year on year while beer sales have been in decline. Then a few years ago 'craft beers' started to appear in lots of places and supermarkets in general hadve put large selections on sale.

Brewdog certainly lit up market place here and beer sales have been growing significantly. Went to few beer festivals last year, but the customer age is still rather on the high side, apart from the smallish studenty contingent.

I am very pleased at the increasing interest in proper beer, IPA and the like. Since the 80s (I think) lager sales have been growing year on year while beer sales have been in decline. Then a few years ago 'craft beers' started to appear in lots of places and supermarkets in general hadve put large selections on sale.

Brewdog certainly lit up market place here and beer sales have been growing significantly. Went to few beer festivals last year, but the customer age is still rather on the high side, apart from the smallish studenty contingent.

My imminent-to-be- son in-law is a marketing guy for Brew Dog. They are growing at an insane bloody rate. They recently opened a brand new brewery in Ellon, & they are rapidly having to expand it.

He spent a lot of time in the USA last year, & that market is taking off big time for them.

Chris

That's interesting Chris, because it seems that American Pale Ales are very much in fashion right now and lots of breweries seem to be getting in on it. I thought it was a coincidence that I keep seeing them at first, but it appears now to be a real phenomena.
I like them too. Obviously, never as good as in the correct location - it's just wrong. Like having Twinkies at home (which we do).

That's interesting Chris, because it seems that American Pale Ales are very much in fashion right now and lots of breweries seem to be getting in on it. I thought it was a coincidence that I keep seeing them at first, but it appears now to be a real phenomena.
I like them too. Obviously, never as good as in the correct location - it's just wrong. Like having Twinkies at home (which we do).

Here in Scotland we were blessed with a fine example of an IPA long before they took off as a fashion. Deuchars IPA. A thoroughly excellent, emminently quaffable session beer.

I strongly commend it to you if you haven't tried it.

Chris

I enjoy Deuchars and the paler, more hoppy styles generally. On a trip to Chicago last year I was introduced to the local Double Daisycutter. It's a magnificent pint and well worth seeking out if you're in that part of the world.
Enjoy
Mick

Here in Scotland we were blessed with a fine example of an IPA long before they took off as a fashion. Deuchars IPA. A thoroughly excellent, emminently quaffable session beer.

Chris

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the brand name matters less than the way it is stored, and the cleanliness of the pipes and beer tap. In a good pub all the beers are good and vice versa.

Chris

Agreed. It is excellent beer.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the brand name matters less than the way it is stored, and the cleanliness of the pipes and beer tap. In a good pub all the beers are good and vice versa.

There never was any accounting for taste.

First Theakstons pint of the day that had been in the pipes overnight used to be the best, nice and flat with minimal cooling.
Prevented me from going to many an economics lecture.

Gerald

You are being ripped off like a good un my son.

Keep going further south until you hit southern Spain - large beer (almost a pint) cost 1 euro or about £0.85 in my village.

Mick

Yep, it's larger but it's not bad at all and rather refreshing when the weather gets hot out there!

I generally drink real ales and pay between £2.65-£3.50 around here.

I go to the pub for the social interaction, the atmosphere of the premises, getting out of the house and of course the beer, however I am more interested in flavour rather than strength, I avoid strong ales, 5% and over is too much for me,
I like a nice session beer.
I believe any beer brewed below 2.8% is subject to a 50% reduction in duty, I haven't found a draft one yet, surely if the flavour was right, it could be a lot cheaper per pint?

cheers Al

I go to the pub for the social interaction, the atmosphere of the premises, getting out of the house and of course the beer, however I am more interested in flavour rather than strength, I avoid strong ales, 5% and over is too much for me,
I believe any beer brewed below 2.8% is subject to a 50% reduction in duty, I haven't found a draft one yet, surely if the flavour was right, it could be a lot cheaper per pint?

cheers Al

2.8%!!! Yeuch.

I'll pay the duty, thanks.

What upon earth is the point of drinking alcohol if not to experience & enjoy it's effects?

Chris

cheers Al

I agree with everything you say. I do know of one ale below 2.8%, Adnams sole star @ 2.7%, it's a lovely light summer beer.

In regard to real ale this is spot on. Ale needs a good cellar man, without it you can have the best beer in the world and it can taste like shit.

cheers Al

Great, great post. At 140lbs and an irregular drinker I get drunk way too easily, and I miss the days when you could get a good pint of mild, full of flavour and < 3% alcohol. I like my beer to just take the sharp edges off life: I don't want to be slurring my words.

I think there are many really good American mcrobrews, but unfortunately they all err on the side of strong beer, so out of bounds for social drinking. So sadly these days the majority of the beer I drink is German alcohol free stuff ... passable, but not a patch on a good mild.

2.8%!!! Yeuch.

What upon earth is the point of drinking alcohol if not to experience & enjoy it's effects?

Why does anyone need to drink high quantities of alcohol to enjoy themselves?

I take quality and taste over Abv any time.

Hi linnfomaniac83,
I don't know how to do that copy quote thing,(useless with computers) but thanks, I'm curious about the Adnams Star at 2.7% do you think it actually is subject to 50% less duty? is it a lot cheaper?

I agree with Anh "quality and taste over Abv any time" if it's tasty and not that strong, I can stay and enjoy the pub and the people for longer, result.

Out of curiosity I tried a Jaipur beer once, I think it was 8%, I had 1 and went home.

Cheers Al

advertisement

Back