advertisement

PSVANE WE845 Tubes - Buying from China Hifi

AndyCC72

pfm Member
One of the PSVANE 845T MK2 tubes in my Line Magnetic 518IA got stuck in and in my haste to try and remove it broke. I now find myself in the situation where I need to purchase some new ones and was thinking of the PSVANE WE845 as I have read good things about them. They're about £900 when buying from a UK stockist but can be had for half that buying from China Hifi (the company that sells the Willsenton Amps).

They're Chinese valves so I'm expecting the ones from China Hifi will be exactly the same as the ones from China Hifi just twice the price. Anyone bought any valves direct from China Hifi and if so what was your experience?

I’m having exactly the same thoughts, but about the much cheaper 12AU7 Art-Series. Around £80 here, but no doubt cheaper from their country of origin. Can’t be that risky surely? Credit card protection if they arrive completely shagged, or not at all?

I’m having exactly the same thoughts, but about the much cheaper 12AU7 Art-Series. Around £80 here, but no doubt cheaper from their country of origin. Can’t be that risky surely? Credit card protection if they arrive completely shagged, or not at all?
I’ve spoken to a few people who have bought tubes direct from China Hifi and they all seem to have had a positive experience. They’re Chinese tubes, we’d just be cutting out the middle man and saving a few quid…

Just remember to figure in VAT and duty on the total cost, inc. shipping.

If Customs miss the package, you will be better off than you expected, but Customs are probably employing ever more people as things getting through is becoming ever rarer.

Just remember to figure in VAT and duty on the total cost, inc. shipping.

If Customs miss the package, you will be better off than you expected, but Customs are probably employing ever more people as things getting through is becoming ever rarer.
I guess you haven’t bought many things direct from China then? The Chinese seem incapable of declaring a customs value higher than about £20, obviously based on my own experience but that includes several matched pairs of Psvane WE845.

One of the PSVANE 845T MK2 tubes in my Line Magnetic 518IA got stuck in and in my haste to try and remove it broke. I now find myself in the situation where I need to purchase some new ones and was thinking of the PSVANE WE845 as I have read good things about them. They're about £900 when buying from a UK stockist but can be had for half that buying from China Hifi (the company that sells the Willsenton Amps).

They're Chinese valves so I'm expecting the ones from China Hifi will be exactly the same as the ones from China Hifi just twice the price. Anyone bought any valves direct from China Hifi and if so what was your experience?
Bought a coupla quads of Black Treasure KT88s, years ago (still running and testing "good" on a pair of PrimaLuna EVO400s ) Happily recommend them...:cool:
PS they were very cheap compared to European dealers-in some cases less than half-price inc. free postage...;)
Again, still running a quad of 12AU7s in my power amps. The folk at China HiFi are excellent traders.👍

he Chinese seem incapable of declaring a customs value higher than about £20,

Very largely irrelevant as tax and duty are payable on what Customs believe is the true value of the import and at some stage they will start to dig deeper into checking actual values, it can only be a matter of time given the slow but sure tightening of imports.
It has always happened - the classic cases going back numerous years involving cameras claimed as being far cheaper than actual, or being brought back as personal property that had been taken out of the country previously.

Good luck challenging a Customs valuation if you get one. Personally, if it is at all worthwhile, I go for a declared value that isn't crazy low, maybe half the actual one, but if something goes missing or gets damaged in transit, you are totally stuffed.

No, not 845 tubes, but...

2023-05-31ShuguangElectronTubeKT88-98.jpg.ea506e6d4e3eee9a3bf9d92b6a04807e.jpg

...I wouldn't hesitate to purchase Chinese tubes again.

For the last year, I've been using a quad of these Chinese made SHUGUANG KT88-98 output tubes.

I've had no problems whatsoever and the tubes sounded really nice, once I found their preferred operating points in our 6550-deigned BEWITCH 6550 amp.

I think you will find that with the very high production volumes involved, whatever the Chinese produce these days - tubes, loudspeakers, cartridges, amplifiers - they are very serious about getting their products 100% right.

Also, you need to understand that here in China - where the Chinese consumption easily outstrips the rest of the world - they are extremely fussy customers, who receive free delivery of everything (that is portable).

The Chinese customers also promptly exercise their right to free return of any product, if they are not 100% happy - and those kinds of return volumes can quickly sink a business, where the product is not right.

That's my experience, as one who lives here in China and sees a lot more behind the scenes.

Of course, taking delivery here in China, means no tax issues, so I can't advise about that... ;)

I've compared recently to some Linlai Elite 845's:

I purchased an amplifier from China HiFi with no problems, he was very helpful over a query I had although his English was a little difficult to understand in his email.

If you're looking for 12au7 tubes you can also consider Langrex if you don't already know of them. They're a retailer based in Sussex that I've used for tubes, 12au7s in particular, that you can trust and rely on.

I took the plunge and ordered the PSVANE ACME 845's from Ali Express. Let's hope I don't end up with egg on my face ;)

At least with your new 845s, it'll be fried egg on your face! 😂

Seriously though, provided your seller has a decent trading history, I think you will be most impressed.

As an aside, delivery handling in China has got to be the roughest I have ever seen. Everything is kicked, dropped and soaked. For that reason, the Chinese sellers ship in bulletproof packages - everywhere!

I really hope this is a good experience for you.

Please report!

At least with your new 845s, it'll be fried egg on your face! 😂

Seriously though, provided your seller has a decent trading history, I think you will be most impressed.

As an aside, delivery handling in China has got to be the roughest I have ever seen. Everything is kicked, dropped and soaked. For that reason, the Chinese sellers ship in bulletproof packages - everywhere!

I really hope this is a good experience for you.

Please report!
ha ha, that did make me giggle ;)

The seller has good feedback, lots of reviews and followers so hoping for the best. Was at a decent price.

Cheers
A

I took the plunge and ordered the PSVANE ACME 845's from Ali Express. Let's hope I don't end up with egg on my face ;)
Did PS Vane ever get the QC issues ironed out from a few years ago?

I nearly bought a pair of ACME 845's, but a buddy had a tube go dead on his Cary amp (he bought from Grant and was taken care of), then Grant stopped carrying them altogether, and I honestly stopped paying attention to the ACME's at that point.

Did PS Vane ever get the QC issues ironed out from a few years ago?

I nearly bought a pair of ACME 845's, but a buddy had a tube go dead on his Cary amp (he bought from Grant and was taken care of), then Grant stopped carrying them altogether, and I honestly stopped paying attention to the ACME's at that point.
I look at the Linlai E845 but from what little I could read about comparisons between the 2 I think the Acme’s will be more up my street.

advertisement

Back