advertisement

PSU upgrade for Young DAC...?

VinBob

pfm Member
Hello All,

I have been reading about PSU upgrades making a sonic improvements to the Young DAC and was hoping you could share your experiences and advise on any upgrades in the US I can source. I am not looking to spend the amount for the M2TECH Palmer as that would break me given that have I only just purchased the DAC!!! ;-) Essentially looking for a good improvement. Also, do these third party PSUs invalidate warranty?

Cheers,
Vin.

I'm using a PSU made by Simon (sq225917) of this parish. A very worthwhile upgrade. I believe they are now manufactured by Avondale.

why don't you try a Teddy Dac PSU? they make one for the Young Dac.... I have one for the SBT....

Thanks - had a quick look and the price is right as I wouldn't want to spend much more than that. Are they really good and do they make that big a difference? I also notice that it gives 18v of output - is this on the higher side as I believe the original provides 15v correct?

I'm using a PSU made by Simon (sq225917) of this parish. A very worthwhile upgrade. I believe they are now manufactured by Avondale.

Thanks. Have reached out to them to confirm whether they make one for use within the USA running on 110v. Anyone know how the Avondale compares to the Teddy or are they pretty similar in what they do? Thanks.

They are broadly similar though the teddyreg has better filtering but a higher output impedance. I used Les's TPR2 regs in all the PSU's I built for people.

They are broadly similar though the teddyreg has better filtering but a higher output impedance. I used Les's TPR2 regs in all the PSU's I built for people.

OK - So would the better filtering on the Teddy outweigh the lower impedance on the Avondale? Sorry, not very familar with the technical stuff and just looking for any advice on which would be the best to go with. Thanks!

I've got an Avondale on the Young, and it made quite a worthwhile improvement. I can't say how any of the others would compare, but happy with what I've got.

Vin, if you have crazy noisy mains then the Teddyreg might be an option, otherwise one of Les's TPR supplies will be just fine. And you can happily run 24v into the Young, no harm will occur, no benefit will be accrued either.

Vin, if you have crazy noisy mains then the Teddyreg might be an option, otherwise one of Les's TPR supplies will be just fine. And you can happily run 24v into the Young, no harm will occur, no benefit will be accrued either.

Thanks for the advice all - I am definitely down to these two now - I guess I need to determine if the extra filtering from the Teddy would be better for me otherwise I would go with the TPR. Any advice on how I can best determine this? I would assume I would see flickering lights etc. in the room if this was the case? or do you mean noisy mains from the original PSU?

If you are wondering if you have noisy mains then you don't. If you did you would know already, flickers lights, pops and crackles.

Another Avondale user here for my Young dac.
I haven't tried any of the other options, I've always liked what Avondale do & thought that for the ££ I could take the gamble.
It definitely sweetened out the top end & gave a bit more clarity throughout.
I think that it would take a dac at the level of a Weiss to comprehensivelybetter the Avondale/young combo.
Matt.

Thanks - had a quick look and the price is right as I wouldn't want to spend much more than that. Are they really good and do they make that big a difference? I also notice that it gives 18v of output - is this on the higher side as I believe the original provides 15v correct?

I"m using mine on the SBT touch .... only arrived a few days ago, and it takes a couple of weeks to break in .... the sound is tighter, more controlled, but I'm using the SBT as a transport only, so a better PSU into the DAC should make for more obvious changes...

I can say its extremely well built.. like a NAIM PSU for cents in the dollar....

it doesn't come with a power cable, you will need to add one also .... it comes with the connectors and PSU ...

for me it was worth it... but I wouldn't want to spend more than that either...

I"m using mine on the SBT touch .... only arrived a few days ago, and it takes a couple of weeks to break in .... the sound is tighter, more controlled, but I'm using the SBT as a transport only, so a better PSU into the DAC should make for more obvious changes...

I can say its extremely well built.. like a NAIM PSU for cents in the dollar....

it doesn't come with a power cable, you will need to add one also .... it comes with the connectors and PSU ...

for me it was worth it... but I wouldn't want to spend more than that either...

Thanks for the feedback. Any reason why it does not come with a power cable?! I am still torn between the Teddy and Avondale. I have to believe they will both sound very close to one another and either one will obviously be a major upgrade to the stock PSU. I am curious to hear of the improvements during your next couple of weeks...

Would love to hear from other user experiences on these two power supplies with the Young DAC... Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.

I hesitated between the same two and the cheaper Squeeze PSU - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20161

In the end I found a second-hand Avondale at a reasonable price and have been very pleased with it. When I enquired about buying the Avondale new, though, there was a very long delivery delay quoted. That might swing it for you, especially if the Teddy is thought to give very similar results!

Thanks for the feedback. Any reason why it does not come with a power cable?! I am still torn between the Teddy and Avondale. I have to believe they will both sound very close to one another and either one will obviously be a major upgrade to the stock PSU. I am curious to hear of the improvements during your next couple of weeks...

Would love to hear from other user experiences on these two power supplies with the Young DAC... Thanks!

Cheers,
Vin.

I guess, most higher ends PSU's the customers can use their own better than stock, power cable... I got one made for me for about 50 pounds.... better than stock ... I didn't notice much improvement over USB ... if you connect via optical/coax or analogue, I would expect a noticeable improvement....

However, at the same time I upgraded my powerboard and powercord for my amp ... so the sound is clearer in the mids (more separation within instruments), tighter bass and still lots of detail... however I can't say which upgrade did it ... powercord, powerboard or Teddy PSU ... I know I should have done it one by one... but they all arrived on the same day ... so I can't tell for sure... my expectation is that via USB the improvements would be small ...

with this in mind, I'll end up moving this SBT with the Teddy PSU to my bedroom system, without a dac, and connect the analogue outs to try and use the DAC with another setup in the study ...

I hesitated between the same two and the cheaper Squeeze PSU - http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20161

In the end I found a second-hand Avondale at a reasonable price and have been very pleased with it. When I enquired about buying the Avondale new, though, there was a very long delivery delay quoted. That might swing it for you, especially if the Teddy is thought to give very similar results!

that's about half the price of the Teddy PSU ... might be worth a try.... specially if you connect via USB ...

if you use the coax/spdif or analogue outs, I'd probably go for the Teddy ...

that's about half the price of the Teddy PSU ... might be worth a try.... specially if you connect via USB ...

if you use the coax/spdif or analogue outs, I'd probably go for the Teddy ...

Thanks bigmarcelo. I think I am leaning towards the Teddy PSU myself as its a bit cheaper and they respond quickly to e-mails! :)

advertisement

Back