advertisement

PSU Noise Question

I believe that 0V and mains earth should be separated if you adhere to the Naim philosophy of only connecting to mains earth at the source.
Yes, signal 0V and mains earth are separated here. The bond that you can see from the DIN connector to the case is grounding the DIN connector shell and cable shield and is not connected to signal 0V.
Cheers,
Jon

It’s interesting to see someone using those AMB Sigma regulators, Jon. I considered ordering some at one point, but I wasn’t sure whether they’d live up to their claim for low noise, as I've been stung before by ones from China. Given the high postage cost and delays in getting them from the USA, I gave up in the end. Have you been able to make any noise / impedance measurements on them? It seems you’re saying they beat the Flatcap, and so they should, by a very considerable margin. Any thoughts on the comparison?

Hi Avon, sorry not to have responded earlier. I went on hols and this is the first time I've revisited this thread since. I've now built a few things based on AMB boards and my experience has been very positive in all regards, from the quality of the boards and build/setup information to the support provided and the sound quality of the resulting kit. Sadly I don't have the kit to make detailed measurements of that kind but my listening test results were very favourable and I'm happy that I have taken a step forward. During my listening tests I swapped out the RSL boards for standard Naim versions and the improvement with my PSU over the FlatCap was very clear in this setup, with more attack and a much quieter background. It was much less clearcut with the RSL boards in place, but I guess that is to be expected given the additional regulation.
Cheers,
Jon

advertisement

Back