advertisement

Protractor for Naim Aro

My mates dream was to put Aro on his 1210. My ‘addiction’ provided us with Nima, Hadcock and an Aro to try across a few decks. He ended up with Tabriz on it 🤣
I like the Aro, I think it's great at what it does and unipivots are better at that thing than anything else I know of. But they're a bit 'one trick ' and I would want one myself. Always think they're nice when I hear them but not rounded enough for me.

If you have the VM540ML already, you could measure the distance between stylus tip and an imaginary perpendicular line that runs through the centres of the cartridge mounting holes. The difference between this number and 7mm will be what is added to effective length in order for the calculator to return an accurate pivot to spindle distance within the confines of Loefgren 'A'.
Thanks Craig for this. I was thinking along these lines but nice to get confirmation of what could work. I will probably have a stab at this over the weekend if i get an hour or 6 !
How are you planning to deal with the "resting" position of the ARO on the 1210?
Not sure yet, tbh thats the least of my issues at the moment. Getting the arm on the deck and aligned properly will be my goal ! If this works then i am sure i can fashion something to hold the arm. But don't worry, i will post either my success, or not, here.

Please share your experience. I have a couple of idle AROs and would love to mount one on one of my Technics 1210s so I'd appreciate knowing if it will be worth the fuss. How are you planning to deal with the "resting" position of the ARO on the 1210?
Looking at Naim's 'Arm General Assembly' drawing for ARO, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to knock up a custom fit clone of Naim's armrest. The drawing doesn't give the dimensions of this part, however, it appears to be little more than a stout metal tube with a stainless rod glued into a cross drilled hole using Loctite 405 adhesive. Naim's original pillar part has a threaded socket at the bottom such that this can be bolted up from below Linn's armboard with a panhead screw. I wouldn't recommend pulling a Technics plinth apart to facilitate this attachment method, perhaps a tiny circle of 3M Command Adhesive strip instead, made using an office hole punch, for example. Even without the adhesive strip removal pull tab present these can be twisted off without damage to most finished surfaces (especially so, when the area of attachment is so small). Regardless, once one settles upon an ideal arm height it wouldn't be difficult to come up with pillar height and outrigger length, the latter based upon final position such that the outrigger arm doesn't allow the tonearm to fall before it reaches record.

Aro-Diag-2.jpg

If you have the VM540ML already, you could measure the distance between stylus tip and an imaginary perpendicular line that runs through the centres of the cartridge mounting holes.
The VM540ML manual states that distance is 9.6mm.

I used one on my Townshend, without the trough, for years, the armrest was on a small block of wood blutaked to the deck. I used 212.5mm and a 17D.

Looking at Naim's 'Arm General Assembly' drawing for ARO, it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to knock up a custom fit clone of Naim's armrest. The drawing doesn't give the dimensions of this part, however, it appears to be little more than a stout metal tube with a stainless rod glued into a cross drilled hole using Loctite 405 adhesive. Naim's original pillar part has a threaded socket at the bottom such that this can be bolted up from below Linn's armboard with a panhead screw. I wouldn't recommend pulling a Technics plinth apart to facilitate this attachment method, perhaps a tiny circle of 3M Command Adhesive strip instead, made using an office hole punch, for example. Even without the adhesive strip removal pull tab present these can be twisted off without damage to most finished surfaces (especially so, when the area of attachment is so small). Regardless, once one settles upon an ideal arm height it wouldn't be difficult to come up with pillar height and outrigger length, the latter based upon final position such that the outrigger arm doesn't allow the tonearm to fall before it reaches record.

Aro-Diag-2.jpg
Thanks Craig. That's useful info although I am pretty hopeless and not sure I can do this on my own. :D

Quick update:

After playing with the vinyl engine Alignment calculator pro app, starting with a pivot to spindle of of 211mm (Linn/ ARO mounting distance) +2.6mm - which is based on the AT stylus to bolt distance of 9.6mm - the new pivot to spindle distance came out around 213.68 to 215 (depending on what alignment system i use) This should give me correct alignment for the AT 540ML cart ?

I disassembled the deck and removed the existing arm. Then i fitted the metal armboard which i was planning on using. It a bit of a bodge as the spare armboard is set for Rega so was well out in terms of mounting distance. However, if i flip the board over and twist it round i can get within 214mm , but now the recess on the board fouls the platter slightly. So i need to move to option B, which is DIY my own armboard out of Ply.

I can post pics up if anyone is interested in this ?

My other question, which has always confused me is: does it matter how far i move the arm board round in terms of arm mounting angle. Eg: if the board is at 1pm and i move it to say 2pm, will this affect things like the offset angle in terms of alignment, even if the spindle to pivot is now correct ?

I hope all this makes sense as i am only just hanging on here!

That's useful info although I am pretty hopeless and not sure I can do this on my own.
I was just planning on using something like a command strip, cut up into a smaller slice and see if it holds the armrest, then again i am not planning on keeping the Aro on my deck long term - unless it blows me away!

My other question, which has always confused me is: does it matter how far i move the arm board round in terms of arm mounting angle. Eg: if the board is at 1pm and i move it to say 2pm, will this affect things like the offset angle in terms of alignment, even if the spindle to pivot is now correct ?
As long as the TT centre spindle to the arm bearing pivot is the correct distance, you can place the armboard wherever you like.

Please let us know how it sounds. Pictures would be welcomed too.

As long as the TT centre spindle to the arm bearing pivot is the correct distance, you can place the armboard wherever you like.

Please let us know how it sounds. Pictures would be welcomed too.
Ok thats good to know.. Cheers.
I'm just cutting a board to size and once i've got it set up i'll post some pics.

Aro install update !!

So i finally got the Aro installed on my Technics 1210.

After much faffing with my DIY armboard to get the Mounting distance exact i finally got the armboard installed and started setting up the Aro top with my AT 540ML.
I realised at this point i should have drilled an extra hole for the cable plug. I thought i could get away with attaching to the base of the armboard,
but its hard to get the unipivot to move freely without 'dressing' the cable in some way (brought back memories of setting up the LP12 )

Anyhow, once i set this up i realised there is another issue in that i can't get the VTA to go low enough to get the arm level, so a new thinner armboard will need to be cut. But for now i decided i just needed to listen if the cartridge and alignment had worked.

So i installed the arm and cartridge best as i could and plonked a record on..... and .. It worked, finally !!
Prior to this i was wondering why i was bothering with all this ? but as soon as i heard the first sound of the lead in to the record i realised why i like the sound the Aro makes. I left the Naim camp a while back but i does make me think that this is one of their best moments (along with the Nait 2)
That fluid midrange and refinement was there which i remember from before when i had an LP12. I can also hear differences between recordings defined a lot more. Nothing sounds bad but it highlights when the recording or pressing is really good.

Its no surprise i guess but the Aro does make the stock Technics arm a bit kind of anemic sounding. I always thought the stock arm was not as bad as people make out, since i think it greatly depends on what sort of life they have had - dj deck and all that. Mine had very low hours, was purchased new and was only used for careful home listening and i have lived with a rewired and fluid damped version, enjoying it for a few years after selling my LP12. The 1210 deck just gets out of the way of worrying (like i did constantly with the LP12) and i buy more vinyl than i used to when i had the Linn. ....BUT still i can hear that the technics arm has a sort of grain or hash to the midrange which is not present with the Aro. The Aro also tracked perfectly, so my DIY armboard either had the correct mounting distance (213.6mm - with the AT 540ML), or its not as much of an issue as i thought t would be ? Hard to say but who cares, it sounds great with the 540ML and i learned a lot about setting up arms on the way. I would love try it with something like the AT Art 9, but since i don't own one or any other higher end MC cart, so i will have to leave that one for another time.

It also shows what a great base deck the Technics 1210 is since i can reveal the differences between the arms.
But does it sound better than the LP12/ Aro combo ? - no - there is some air and bounce and magic missing which made the LP12/ Aro a great synergy, and i can see that this is true now more than ever. I guess i am relearning properly all the stuff i took for granted before and that makes it more rewarding. Despite all this i will probably not keep the arm on the deck as it is not as user friendly and i am happy enjoying what my almost stock 1210 deck does. I will also look towards a 1210GR2 or G if i can raise funds at some point but this gives me an insight into where i am going and i have learned lots of useful lessons on the way. Hifi is so much more rewarding when you go off on a DIY mashup tangent!

Thanks for all the help to people who contributed to the thread here, especially Craig B, who's technical ability gave me the right pointers to get going. Its taken me an age to do this but glad i did. One further itch partly scratched!

Anyhow, once i set this up i realised there is another issue in that i can't get the VTA to go low enough to get the arm level, so a new thinner armboard will need to be cut. But for now i decided i just needed to listen if the cartridge and alignment had worked.
OK the VTA adjustment of the ARO isn’t sufficient, so the arm is too low at the head-shell end? You can buy cartridge spacers though, to make the cartridge “taller”.

Also, it’s not clear if you aligned the cartridge using a protractor, or just assumed it would be correct, because of the spindle-pivot distance. There’s probably quite a bit of wriggle room though, to adjust the tracking angle. Using a cheap USB camera makes that process easy.

Thanks for the feedback Simon.

As much as I love the ARO, the Technics arm makes it seem agricultural when it comes to ease of set up and use. And I agree that the stock 1200 gets out of the way and just plays music without fuss unlike a lot of other decks that may in fact be superior in audio fidelity. When I listen to records on my Technics, I play record after record and enjoy the music rather than focus on some hifi minutiae.

OK the VTA adjustment of the ARO isn’t sufficient, so the arm is too low at the head-shell end? You can buy cartridge spacers though, to make the cartridge “taller”.
This will need more than spacers to bring the VTA down. I may just recut a new armboard which is thinner and gives me more room to adjust it.
Also, it’s not clear if you aligned the cartridge using a protractor, or just assumed it would be correct, because of the spindle-pivot distance. There’s probably quite a bit of wriggle room though, to adjust the tracking angle. Using a cheap USB camera makes that process easy.
I had a protractor ready but didn't use it as i just wanted to listen quickly to check and hear if there were any major issues with my install. To my suprise not only were there no issues but no mistracking at all. In brief, if it sounds good then it is good ! (i used older records for this to test) Once i have recut an armboard i will double check everything.

For those interested heres photos of my Aro install on the Technics 1210:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ycmHMkm

Not sure how to get images to show up here so above is a link to the hosted images. (let me know that it works?)
They are numbered in order of the build issues. I didn't bother showing you stripping down of the deck and removal of the stock arm
so heres pics

1. Testing with an existing Armboard (Rega) - didn't work !
2. Making a template DIY plywood board - 10mm thick.
3.The new armboard mounted and with Aro base.
4. Checking VTA with Aro top mounted.
5. Double checking pivot to spindle distance 213.6 cm - based on my Audio Technica 540ML cartridge.
6. Setting tracking weight for cart.
7. Finished Aro mounted and playing (cable dressing to finish!)
8. Aro playing
9. Adjusting VTA and realising the arm board needs to be lowered.

BTW for those wondering how i mounted the armrest, it was simply held with mark free white tac as a temporary measure.

advertisement

Back