advertisement

Protecting local airfields from housing developments

All of that sort of thing was covered by the usual section 160 and was fully approved by nearly every local councillor of all political persuasions.
Lets hope they're less partisan than my local (Labour) council whose leader's previous job was lobbying, er, councils on behalf of, um. large property developers.

(coincidentally the guy who led the council for a decade previously is now working as a consultant for (no prizes for guessing!) large property developers...)

Signed.
Commercial interest & profit vs respecting history.
How is that equation to be balanced?
As a keen aviation enthusiast including a fair stint volunteering at Duxford IWM, I feel it’s such a shame that so many significant places have disappeared.
I know that a lot of WW2 airfields were farm-fields prior to 1939/40, & they were returned to such after WW2, but they were so crucial (not to say so many young lives lost,) it’s a shame there aren’t more memorials & recognition of such a critical part of U.K. history.
The world would be a very different place indeed without these airfields & the people that flew from them.
Whilst I accept that these places can’t all become permanent museums, just naming a road on a housing estate “Mosquito street” or “spitfire avenue” to me isn’t a substantial enough recognition of the sacrifice & history involved.

I favour pretty much anything rather than concreting over the countryside, including environmentally disastrous aviation. They (an appalling Libdem council who will hopefully be voted out) want to build a bunch of houses on an old WW2 (Wellington bomber) airfield in our area. They can FRO. Signed btw.

A lot of plane flights from small airfields are for fee paying passengers in small aircraft out for a bit of a jolly. They have a good time and those who live below have to put up with unnecessary noise and pollution all because someone wants a selfish jolly.
I have to fess up that I done that. From the very same airfield whose cargo planes woke me up during the night when they took of...

Signed.

Just a shame there’s not another that allows councils to confiscate homes from people who willingly move into houses near to sources of noise such as airfields and motor racing circuits, and then whinge like mad about the noise. Want peace and quiet every evening and weekend? Should’ve studied harder and bought somewhere suitable.

There are still plans hiding in the background to build thousands of homes close to Santa Pod drag strip. Yep, that place where a couple of 11,000 horsepower dragsters pit themselves against each other, causing a minor earthquake as they do it. And yep, it’s another former airfield, B-17s in WWII.

Cambridge airport/ airfield must be due to turn into houses soon enough. All the GA was kicked out some years ago, as soon as Marshall's move then that's another one gone.

Filton is another planning disaster, could have become the '2nd Heathrow'. Once Stoke Gifford was allowed to be built (on the approach path) it was done for.

For info:

An interesting story. Essentially the 'Private-Jet Set' Vs the unwashed 'puddle jumpers'

I guess I'm lucky. I was on an ex-WW2 training airfield just down the road from me only yesterday; I pay a small fee to book it during office hours. It is nominally GA and a friend used to have his aircraft hangered there, but the hanger is now demolished, the runway is slowly overgrowing (peri tracks are very poor) but nominally you can still land an aircraft without notice; I'm told the Army/Airforce occasionally use it for exercises.

The owners don't seem interested in making any money out of it despite proposals being submitted in the past, so areas between the runways and outside the peri tracks are cropped by farmers and old buildings used for a recycle plant and other things.

I doubt it will get built on in the short term as it's in private ownership. I do use other airfields and there are plans by the local Council to build on some of them but there have been for years.

CHE

Signed

There was a proposal to build many houses on Fairoaks Airport near us
May have been 5000 houses.
The plan was to build the houses then gradually add in the necessary items like shops
Approved by Surrey Heath Council
Glad to say it failed

@Jamie signed.

Is it Langar airfield? I like that place, and used to go-kart race there.
(also Langar Hall serves v nice food!)

@Jamie signed.

Is it Langar airfield? I like that place, and used to go-kart race there.
(also Langar Hall serves v nice food!)
It's Tollerton (aka Nottingham City Airport). That did cause confusion a while back, when EMA was call Nottingham East Midlands Airport.... people turning up to fly off to the Mediterranean at a small local airfield!

I’ve signed.

Not only do I support it, winding up grumpy fun sponges is a nice bonus… ;)
I would imagine you get even more enjoyment at preventing other people the chance to live in new accommodation. Keep them living in dumps to allow the hooray henry's the opportunity to make noise and pollute neighbouring areas.

I would imagine you get even more enjoyment at preventing other people the chance to live in new accommodation. Keep them living in dumps to allow the hooray henry's the opportunity to make noise and pollute neighbouring areas.
Yes!

Brands Hatch has been around for yonks, so the nimbies would have less of a case. In the case of our local airfield, the small business was set up about 30 years after the local houses were built and there was an almighty uproar from disgruntled residents. The local council put on a united front and approved a new housing estate and quite rightly so.

Also Brands Hatch entertains millions of people, a light aircraft probably entertains a few well heeled hooray Henry's for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Total no brainer.

On a personal note, you'll never catch me in a plane. (Its irrational i know) But that opinion, should not stop others who want to. We sit on the porch some nights and watch the big boys vapour trails. Great stuff
I try to avoid them too. Imagine my horror this morning, flying from Dublin to Luxembourg, to find I was flying in a 90 seat tiddler with propellors ffs. It didn't even need airport staircase thingies to get on and off, it just dropped its door, which doubled up as a 5 step staircase to the ground. It was called a Bombardier Q400 I think. Tons of noise and vibrations to make things even worse in the air. Stupidly, I checked it's safety rating whilst waiting to take off. 2 major incidents already this year alone. One flight company retired it's fleet in 2009 because they had several accidents where the front wheel would not come down when landing.
Hated every second. Here is one trying to land in strong wind

Anyway, I'm home now.

I try to avoid them too. Imagine my horror this morning, flying from Dublin to Luxembourg, to find I was flying in a 90 seat tiddler with propellors ffs. It didn't even need airport staircase thingies to get on and off, it just dropped its door, which doubled up as a 5 step staircase to the ground. It was called a Bombardier Q400 I think. Tons of noise and vibrations to make things even worse in the air. Stupidly, I checked it's safety rating whilst waiting to take off. 2 major incidents already this year alone. One flight company retired it's fleet in 2009 because they had several accidents where the front wheel would not come down when landing.
Hated every second. Here is one trying to land in strong wind

Anyway, I'm home now.
Brave, thats all, just brave👍

advertisement

Back