advertisement

prostate cancer,

graystoke4

pfm Member
hi, well i have just been to the hospital, for my second prostate Biopsy, results, not so good
i had stage one, on my first, after a very different and huge , 2nd, biopsy, they have found cell that Could lead to a more aggrieve cancer,
still got 10-12 years no problem, but they can not, put that in writing,
So its, radiotherapy, or removal, pro's and con's, radiotherapy, should get rid of the cancer, but will lead to a non erection for life,
second is prostate, removal, gone is the cancer, and a 50% of a boner,, also if you have radio, and it comes back, there is nothing they can do,
if you have removal, and then it comes back ,you can have radio,
i'm havening removal,
PLEASE, if you have anything wrong with your peeing go straight to the doctors
I ONLY had trouble peeing when i was on the booze, but still thought there was a problem,
the reason i have caught this very early,

i only get up about once a week in the night for a pee, and only have a pee once maybe twice max when i'm at work all day, 5 hours walking,,
anything you find different, ,,that is a red flag,

i will be fine but for the love of god, any problems' , go to the doctors,
on this site it's looking at about 70%, of people over 50,
DONT BE A HERO, hero's are all dead,

Sorry to hear graystoke .difficult decisions but looks like the best option .removal does sometimes give a bit of incontinence but lots of pelvic excercizes can help a lot as can pads . A small price to pay

Thanks for highlighting it , the doc recently tried tamsulosin with me but i couldnt cope with it and had a fall .its only a muscle relaxant .

WIshing you all the best.

TBA, and this is a matter of record, guidance to GPs is that they shouldn't offer you a PSA test - but you can ask for one.

The reason is that there is a significant health cost to men who get positive test results, go for biopsies and then pay a heavy price because of the impact of the biop in terms of boners or peeing.

Prostate cancer is often called "idle" by the docs. It can move very slowly as opposed to "fast" cancers such as brain or lung. Also, having tumourous cells increases massively with age - a large majority of men who live into their 80s and beyond have tumour cells - but not an actually malignant cancer.

What we really need is a test that is better than PSA in the sense that it has a better sensitivity all-round, but specifically in that it can detect active malignancy.

Good luck with the treatment, sounds like your outcome should be fine. I had removal about 5 years ago although mine was "locally advanced" and there were positive margins. I started hormone treatment about 3 months ago and will be having just over 6 weeks of radio soon.

Once the op is done, make sure you do the "pelvic floor" exercises. I made sure I did them at least as much as suggested and got bladder control back within a couple of weeks of having the catheter removed. I know a couple of lads who didn't bother and now have to wear a pad full time.

Edit: Tim's post above about PSA testing is valid, it's a poor method of finding cancer. My Dad had multiple PSA tests and 5 lots of biopsies, all in his 80s and all negative until the 5th when cancer was found his PSA was about 150 at that time, his cancer had metastasised and he lasted 3 years, mostly in pain.

Edit: Tim's post above about PSA testing is valid, it's a poor method of finding cancer. My Dad had multiple PSA tests and 5 lots of biopsies, all in his 80s and all negative until the 5th when cancer was found his PSA was about 150 at that time, his cancer had metastasised and he lasted 3 years, mostly in pain.

As I understand it there is a simple PSA test which is rather crude and a more sophisticated one which you can request from a GP. My brother is a retired GP and he made a point of using the better test. Most GPs don't.

I had a general blood test a year ago and the PSA was up a bit (can't remember the number and don't know what he range is anyway; maybe 14.5 if that makes any sense). As far as I can tell, I have no symptoms (if indeed there are allied symptoms) according to Google. I shall in early course have another test (incl. PS or PSA specific).

A sporting colleague, younger than me, has recently gone through the radiotherapy system and is fairly confident of success. I asked him what symptoms he experience prior to having tests and he said "none". I for one would like to know what changes in behaviour might indicate a prostate cancer problem. An enlarged prostate is, I believe, a different kettle of fish.

I had 5 days of radiotherapy about 7 years ago; it was basal cell carcinoma, at the bottom rung of cancers, I think (can 100 000+ volts REALLY kill cancer without collateral damage?) It was on my schnozzle and I bear the scar. The worst part was the injection prior to the biopsy; they didn't warn me that it would be excruciating. I nearly broke the nurse's hand! It really couldn't have been worse if they'd simply taken a lump out without the anaesthetic.

Best progress, Graystoke.

I doctor friend of mine once told me that the chances of men of a certain age dying with prostate cancer are high but the chances of those same men dying of it are relatively low. That's not to say one should be complacent, the advice above is sound, it's just to perhaps give a sliver of hope which stops anyone with a slightly raised PSA from automatically thinking the need to get their affairs in order...

Wishing you success with your treatment.

I had a general blood test a year ago and the PSA was up a bit (can't remember the number and don't know what he range is anyway; maybe 14.5 if that makes any sense). As far as I can tell, I have no symptoms (if indeed there are allied symptoms) according to Google. I shall in early course have another test (incl. PS or PSA specific).

A sporting colleague, younger than me, has recently gone through the radiotherapy system and is fairly confident of success. I asked him what symptoms he experience prior to having tests and he said "none". I for one would like to know what changes in behaviour might indicate a prostate cancer problem. An enlarged prostate is, I believe, a different kettle of fish.

I had 5 days of radiotherapy about 7 years ago; it was basal cell carcinoma, at the bottom rung of cancers, I think (can 100 000+ volts REALLY kill cancer without collateral damage?) It was on my schnozzle and I bear the scar. The worst part was the injection prior to the biopsy; they didn't warn me that it would be excruciating. I nearly broke the nurse's hand! It really couldn't have been worse if they'd simply taken a lump out without the anaesthetic.

Best progress, Graystoke.

When I was born, and perhaps when you were too Mike, there were three ways of treating cancer. Either you conducted "commando surgery" to excise a huge portion of the affected tissue and organ (hence the brain surgeon's old favorite: "there go the piano lessons..."); or you filled the patient with vicious poisons like Vincristine which poisoned everything else in the process; or you shot a lot of gamma rays at them.

The point about the 100.000 volts is that 50 year ago the width of the beam was about that of a pencil. Now it's less than a human hair; and likely to be computer directed. Plus, thanks to hyperfractionation (ie do more radio fractions within a single appointment), you don't have to go back for treatment every few days.

The really big picture point about cancer is that we need to stop waiting for people to show up with symptoms. About 20% are still diagnosed because they arrive at A&E with very serious symptoms, and are almost inevitably at Stage 4.

advertisement

Back