advertisement

Proms

Basil

Harbethian
Thoughts and opinions on this years concerts from the Albert Hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/

This is the one I'm most looking forward to;

Tue 17 August

Brahms
Symphony no.3
Birtwistle
Three Brendel Settings
Beethoven
Piano Concerto no.5 'Emperor'

William Dazeley
Alfred Brendel
Philharmonia Orchestra
Christoph von Dohnanyi

and these;

Thursday 5 August
Sibelius - Violin Concerto
Joshua Bell / Alan Gilbert / Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra

Thursday 12 August
Sibelius - Symphony No. 2
Osmo Vanska / BBC Symphony Orchestra

After all the hype about the millions spent on the Organ restoration at the Albert Hall, why did they choose to perform the orchestral transcription of the Fugue in Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D?

I wondered that too...

The revamped beast did sound fabulous. I can't wait to hear more of it which is not something I've ever thought about an organ before. One of the pipes made my throat resonate! I think the hall sounds better too - I believe some of the flying saucers have been moved. The sound is tighter and seems to have lost some of the infamous echo. The opening bars of the Toccata provoked a whole body tingle like I've not had from a piece of music for some time. The spot-lit organist with the rest of the stage in a low blue light was pretty rock-and-roll too: at the end of the Toccata I half expected Greg Lake and Carl Palmer to fire up. As it was the orchestrated Fugue was a bit of a let down in comparison.

Spectacular!
Mariss Jansons conducting the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in the first of two concerts was breathtaking, easily one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Out here to swing! :D

Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra

Wynton Marsalis

Sublime......................

advertisement

Back