advertisement

Proms 2024

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
Received the new Prom guide today, despite my fears after the original announcements there seems to be a fair bit of good stuff - not prom 2, obviously....

Daniel Barenboim and Simon Rattle bringing their orchestras, Pappano doing the Britten War Requiem among the treats.

A lot more crossover and pop music starting to appear. No doubt a trend that will continue... Also a lot of female conductors now.

Not much of interest to me, maybe these. The Albert Hall is just a short bus ride from me.

Prom 44: Lili Boulanger D’un soir triste, Debussy La mer, Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3 in C major, Ravel La valse
PROM 17 Ives Three Places in New England, Ravel Piano Concerto in G major, Debussy Nocturnes, Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini
PROM 50 - Czech PO: Kaprálová Military Sinfonietta, Dvořák Piano Concerto in G minor, Janáček Glagolitic Mass
Prom 52 - Carmen
PROM 58 Debussy Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune, Stravinsky Petrushka (1947 version), Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
PROM 59 Lili Boulanger Pie Jesu; Vieille prière bouddhique, Fauré Requiem; Pelleas and Melisande – suite, Ravel Daphnis and Chloé, Suite 2

Prom 5 is an interesting permutation, The Mermaid was in the shadow of Pelleas following their premieres so having it as the main piece should bring it the attention it deserves.

Prom 43 features the CBSO performing the Henry Wood orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition, as recently mentioned by marshanp on the concert chat thread. (I'd add a link but it's not working for me.) I'll be tuning in to that one.

Prom 18, yuk!
Is it “Greats from the Eurovision Song Contest”? Reservations about P55, the BPO, Ólafsson, Robert Schumann Concerto. He gave it in Berlin with them in August last year and he struck me as a fish out of water with this repertoire .

I bet Rattle with the BvRSO in P61,62 will be incredible. You get to hear what he does with Bruckner compared with Kirill Petrenko and the BPO a few days apart.

advertisement

Back