advertisement

Proms 2016

The Verdi Requiem on right now. The two male soloists are pretty poor- being shown up by the chorus and female counterparts. In fact the bass sounds like he only met the other three for the first time on stage tonight.

I've got it recording, will watch later. Proms season over far too soon, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Last Night of the Proms! What will it be like in this 'special' year? I hear someone has bought 5,000... ahem.... "European" flags to give out to the audience.

I never get beyond the first part of the last night, all the flag-waving stuff makes me cringe!

They actually have some brilliant artists and music. Previously, Fleming and Kaufman come to mind, tonight Florez. Sakari Oramo is quite mad ( in a nice way) btw and so is his wife.

I never get beyond the first part of the last night, all the flag-waving stuff makes me cringe!

Me too! One of the reasons I never watch.

But, contrary to my usual stance, I'm watching this evening. The announcer in the green, plastic fish-scale dress is enough to send me back into absenteeism. I think I quote her correctly - "The finest tenor in the world". Disappointigly, he turned out to be just another shouter. But the young chap doing the Haydn, if fractionally too fast, was a delight.

Curiously however, it was the promise of flag waving that prompted me to tune in tonight. I thought it typical of BBC political bias that no apparent effort was being made to dissuade the EU bunting tossers from seeking to deny a democratic process. I believe someone of greater patriotic sensibility - it is the Last Night after all - has furnished hundreds of Union flags in opposition, so I am watching in the expectation of seeing some decidedly non-musical behaviour. If nothing else, it will enliven an otherwise drear programme.

You have to laugh. It's an international music festival, of which only a tiny fraction originated in these islands. Wood would be turning in his grave at thought it being hijacked by ignorant nationalist thugs as the Barclays are attempting.
Florez is singing Rule Britannia dressed as an Inca. Perhaps he should be arrested- someone in the BBC must be taking the p1ss!

Was it just a fluke or does the Royal Albert Hall now sound rather good and not the mushy vagueness I remember from long ago? I listened to the last night on DAB and it sounded rather good very vibrant and detailed.

The recording is getting better and better. I listened on headphones to the Gewandhaus at the Proms and it sounded better than when I heard them live from five rows back two nights previously.

The recording is getting better and better. I listened on headphones to the Gewandhaus at the Proms and it sounded better than when I heard them live from five rows back two nights previously.

why I prefer to listen to recordings/broadcast than be-there live performances;) unless they are recordings

Was it just a fluke or does the Royal Albert Hall now sound rather good and not the mushy vagueness I remember from long ago? I listened to the last night on DAB and it sounded rather good very vibrant and detailed.

IMHO it's always been OK via broadcast, because the miking can conceal the the terrible acoustics of the Albert Hall, but for those present in the Hall there's no escape from the "mushy vagueness" as you accurately describe it.

I should clarify- I heard them live in one venue then listened to live R3 broadcast a few nights later from a different venue (Albert Hall). The miking was very good!

advertisement

Back