advertisement

Progzilla Radio

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
As a result of The Progmeisters occasional rallying calls, I've found myself dipping into Progzilla from time to time. I've found it to be quite a mixed bag of content - some really good, some not quite so good, and some diabolical.

Do any other listeners have any recommendations or pet loves or hates on PR?

In other prog news I notice Utopia Strong have bagged the support slot at the Amon Düül II gig in Manchester June next year. I had no idea Düül II were still a thing. I’d have rather liked to attend, but I’m far from convinced I want to commit to any gigs due to the ongoing uncertainty of the covid situation.

I’ve been listening to Progzilla since the beginning of the year as a result of, again, the publicity on here by the Progmeister. I really like the music overall, but have to stress the “overall” as prog music is a very broad church and some I can’t stand while other stuff is brilliant. Couple of gripes: not knowing which band are playing the tracks most of the time. The scheduling – knowing which programme is on – is also pretty poor.

As regards loves and hates:
Loves. Lack of adverts. Really like DJs Peter Jones and Anthony Rowsick for their choice of music and intelligent commentary. Due to the scheduling problems I keep missing their shows and try to catch up via the podcasts (on progwatch.com for Mr Rowsick). Sound quality is plenty good enough played through my Chord M-Scaler and Hugo TT2
Hates. Cannot stand DJ Emma Roebuck in any shape or form. Switch over to Tidal listening when she’s on.

Cannot stand DJ Emma Roebuck in any shape or form. Switch over to Tidal listening when she’s on.

I can appreciate where you're coming from. I stumbled on to said show a few weeks ago, and I couldn't decide whether I'd stepped into a parallel universe or was the victim of some elaborate hoax.

As the Progmeister started this off – and I’m very grateful to him – I ought to add that I can only remember hearing one of his shows and it didn’t register in my memory. It’s that scheduling problem again. Looking at the online podcasts it seems that he hasn’t been on much in recent months. Perhaps I ought to put more effort into listening to podcasts rather than the broadcast stream of music.

There’s a presenter called Steve Blease with his “Sounds that can be made – A Rock Show from Bristol”. Although I like his presenting style the music is a struggle for my ears and I often switch to Tidal part way through his show. A shame as he presents well.

Peter Jones is not only an excellent presenter but a brilliant performer in bands like Red Bazar and Tiger Moth Tales. Recommended.

advertisement

Back