advertisement

Problems Home Sharing iTunes library with new Apple TV 4K

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
After much reluctance I've just bought my mum a new 5th gen. AppleTV 4K as she's been complaining how slow and clunky her 3rd gen. AppleTV is and the unavailability of Disney+ etc.

I've been trying to set-up Home Sharing between my iTunes music library and the new Apple TV 4K with no success. I keep getting this message on the Apple TV:
"No libraries available. To access your library, please turn on Home Sharing on your computer and use the Apple ID [email protected]".

Home Sharing works fine between my iTunes library and 3rd gen. AppleTV, so why not the new one? Is it because I'm running too old a version of iTunes and MacOS on my computer? (iTunes 12.6.2 and MacOS El Capitan 10.11.6).

Last edited:
Most likely your last line there.

There are literally hundreds of ways to enjoy your music, look at plex for instance. iTunes is turd like.

No joy with iTunes 12.8.3 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, or with iTunes 12.9.5 and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, either.

Don't tell me I need to be running the new 'Music' app on Catalina? F*ck that!

Last edited:
Is anyone else successfully Home Sharing their iTunes library with the latest AppleTV 4K using iTunes version 12.9.5 or earlier and MacOS 10.14.6 or earlier? I know Apple discontinue support for legacy platforms but to make Home Sharing on the latest ATV compatible only with the most recent Music app on MacOS Catalina would be rather spiteful if true!

Try plugging the ATV into a USB port on a Mac and see if it you can access your music library in iTunes that way. If you can this points to a network issue.

Cheers,

DV

Not confident that would work or was ever a thing except for putting it into dfu mode.

After resetting the ATV to factory settings and going through the setup process again it is now working. I've no idea what was wrong as I didn't do anything different second time round, but at least it's working!

advertisement

Back