advertisement

Problem with Croft micro 25 pre amp … fuses?

MEMF1980

pfm Member
Hi all - I turned on my Croft micro 25 pre amp this morning. It turned on as usual but no sound came out then it turned itself off and won’t switch back on.

I’ve checked the plug fuse but are there some internal fuses in the unit itself that could go? If so are they easy to locate and change if I open it up?

Any other possibilities worth trying before I contact Croft

thanks Jon

Hi Jon,

The Micro 25 is pretty simply laid out inside, and neatly put together too so you shouldn't have any issues whipping the lid off to see if there are internal fuses - however I thought all the fuses were accessible from the back? Have you checked your power cable?

Thanks myles … I did check the fuse in the mains cord but I didn’t try a different cord, will do so!

I was rushing out this morning so didn’t notice the fuse access on the back but will try that as soon as I’m home.

out of interest does anyone know if glass and ceramic fuses are interchangeable if kept at the same value?

will report back shortly.

Hello hive-mind, I have checked the fuses in the plug, the fuse in the rear and the mains cable but everything seems to be fine.

I checked the valve and it doesn’t ‘look’ gone, is there any way to test it without a valve tester?

Is it worth getting a new valve to test before I send it back to Croft (I’ve emailed awaiting a reply). If so does anyone know what a good reasonable priced replacement is - I’ve read the line stages are ecc83 but I am new to valves and the choice is bewildering!

Many thanks - Jon

Yes, definitely try another pair of valves. There is an outside chance one has failed with a short. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a very good cheap option. Croft themselves use JJs IIRC, so that’s another option.

Just a quick update, it turned out to be the transformer. I sent it back to Glenn who replaced it (incredibly reasonably) and who also reduced the gain for me allowing me to ditch the attenuators I’d been using and also upgrade the line stage valve to an ecc99.

Preamp plugged in and sounding bette than ever.

advertisement

Back