advertisement

ProAc Response 1SC

DrDx

I recently purchased a lovely pair of ProAc Response 1SC speakers & I was wondering if anyone can give advice on useful upgrades to the internal wiring and crossovers? Thanks in anticipation...

Great little stand mount. Be sure to place them on very high mass stands, Target R4s being ideal, then they will really sing.

This will make all the difference. :)

I tried them on a mass-loaded pair of Neat Ultimatum stands and - even though they looked ridiculous - the results were impressive! I'm using the Partington Dreadnought stands that came with the speakers for the time being but they are a temporary solution! First I need to sell the Ultimatum MFS & stands to free up some cash....

Was wondering if anyone has ever gone active (removing the crossover etc.) with the 1SCs?

Leave them as they are. If you mess with them too much you risk changing what ever it is that makes them enjoyable. Proper stands and positioning are the only tweaks needed if your room works with them.

I wasn't going to anytime soon - just curious if anyone more diy oriented has tried it. But passive biamping has at least worked well for me.

Leave them as they are. If you mess with them too much you risk changing what ever it is that makes them enjoyable. Proper stands and positioning are the only tweaks needed if your room works with them.

The Response 1SC is certainly one of those deceptive designs which punches above its weight! I've moved them closer together firing straight across the narrower dimension of my 21' x 11' listening room. I'm able to place them with approximately 1' of free space behind & the results are very impressive! ;)

I'd second this.

Many speakers respond well to modification however ProAc's, which are pretty well sorted and optimised, don't.

As has been already said, good solid high-mass stands are the best bet with these.

Regards

I'd second this.

Many speakers respond well to modification however ProAc's, which are pretty well sorted and optimised, don't.

As has been already said, good solid high-mass stands are the best bet with these.

Regards

I appreciate the advice - I am really impressed with the sound of the Response 1SCs & I will keep a look out for some heavyweight stands to sit them on! Meanwhile, I've managed to get a pair of highly regarded Custom Design stands for a knock-down price & I already have a few tubs of Atabites to fill them with....

I have looked at google images

The crossover looks economical shall we say . It is a pcb and low end bi polars . Though i was happy to see it was minimal 1st or 2nd order .

In my experience , if you are entirely happy with the sound , then there are small improvements to be had by hard wiring the cross- over and replacing the capacitors with polypropylene.

I would expect such mods to solidify the sound-stage , increase the impression of recorded ambiance , move the sound more out of the box and to use an analogy to generally give the impression that the sound window as been cleaned .

Great little stand mount. Be sure to place them on very high mass stands, Target R4s being ideal, then they will really sing.

This will make all the difference. :)

I've got 1S on Partington Dreadnought stands at the moment. When you guys say "high mass" do you mean filling these stands up completely with sand or something or rather just super heavy stands?

I have now sited my ProAc Response 1SCs on 61cm Custom Design 104 Signature stands after having filled all of the upright columns with Atacama Atabites... The filled stands are heavy & sturdy. The results are outstanding - visually & sonically! :)

advertisement

Back