advertisement

Proac EBS crossover

Just done some work on a pair of EBS.

Presumably later model than yours, different crossover components, D2010 tweeters, and the midrange unit does not have the finned chassis.

There was no output from the tweeters, and the culprit turned out to be the 3.3 uF caps, very unusual for a PP cap to fail, especially rare for two to go open circuit.

Another issue was the midrange connections, the pins were very loose. The terminals are 3mm sockets, and RS don't list 3mm plugs, so i replaced them with 4mm Hirschman sockets, and re-terminated the wiring (looks like QED 79) with Deltron plugs.

Finally, one of the woofers was rubbing. ATC use a plastic ring to fix the surround, presumably in the interests of easy field re-coning, so it was a fairly simple matter to re-align the voice coil.

Bizarrely, the wires to the crossover were stripped back, wound around the binding posts, and secured with flat steel washers! Needless to say, they're now connected with ring terminals, crimped and soldered.

I wasn't able to get these into my system, but in any case, they appear to be very insensitive, so probably would have been a waste of time anyway.

Atc drivers are insensitive, I've used them with 25w Tamp and they don't exactly fly, but 100w plus and they get going. Im using a circa 150-200w amp which is great, dreaming of active now..

advertisement

Back