advertisement

ProAc DT8 / D20R or Dynaudio Evoke Speakers?

I have struggled with DT8 in my room with excessive bass and have had a thread running in the past. I have mostly solved the issue by standing them on their spikes onto IKEA bamboo chopping boards under which I superglue 4 sorbothane hemispheres and the result is much improved. I did try them with a loaner Rega Elicit mk5 and that seemed to boost the upper midrange and is a better match than my Nait XS2.

I think that the bass can overwhelm the midrange and be rather unimpressive. They are however great for jazz but not so much for dance etc.

I did listen to the DB1s at the dealer and was very impressed actually but foolishly went for the DT8s as I preferred the look and to be honest seemed like more speaker real estate for the money.

I have now also got some Alchris Audio AR4 which are excellent in my opinion but are slightly bright. A massive contrast to the Proacs but very enjoyable with excellent imaging.

Good luck with your search.

interesting comment re the AR4 .... i am often searching for a speaker that is NOT bright as i have a less than perfect room . the AR 6 has been most certainly quite smooth in the top end . rather good in fact

OK, since we are kind of in the same boat, I will throw in Audio Physic. There are a lot of different models, but something among the Classic range of floorstanders could fit the bill.

Also, in the second hand market, Proac D18. I love that speaker, and in my smaller (5m x 6m) space, prefer it to the D20R. They image superbly, have a big soundstage, and a natural tone, veering slightly on the warm side. They trounced the Dynaudio Special 40 for me, it all comes down to taste.

it does all come down to taste . i extensively demoed the D18 against a dynaudio s3.4 and the latter was way better to my ears

it does all come down to taste . i extensively demoed the D18 against a dynaudio s3.4 and the latter was way better to my ears

This is what makes taking someone’s recommendations too much to heart a folly, useful as a starting point, but you never know how that fits with your own preference. I used to think in absolute terms about how one thing is better than another, but there are so many levels to it all, I get the feeling almost anything can be enjoyed in the right circumstances.

I demoed all the Proac line upto the d20r and preferred the dt8. As soon as they went on I could tell they were to my taste, you’re immediately aware of the bass in music. I don’t find them overblown at all but they lead with the bass in music if that makes sense. I play a bit of bass guitar and always listen to the bass lines in music so they suit me. Took them home to try in my listening room (13x11ft) and they have been great. Something else I’ve noticed in time is their superb imaging and deep soundstage. This is the first pair of speakers I’ve owned with the d’apolito driver arrangement so that may be why. Of the standmounts the db3 have quite a similar bass first presentation. The D2 are closer to the d20r (but more intimate) and the db1 are their own animal, tight and energetic/dynamic. The tablets 10 have a special something in the midrange, it’s quite beguiling but don’t scale up like the bigger speakers. YMMV!

I like Neats and they have several ranges at different price ranges, generally easy to place and non fatiguing but a fun listen. Only thing is that they don’t hold their value that well so get a good second hand pair if possible. I have had two pairs previously - motive sx3 and momentum sx3i- now have harbeth shl5+ which are very good but do miss the Neats at times.

Reactions: mbu
I like Neats and they have several ranges at different price ranges, generally easy to place and non fatiguing but a fun listen. Only thing is that they don’t hold their value that well so get a good second hand pair if possible. I have had two pairs previously - motive sx3 and momentum sx3i- now have harbeth shl5+ which are very good but do miss the Neats at times.
Yes. Agreed. I've got a pair of Momentum 3is on Custom Design stands. Got off ebay. Bargain as had no grills or links. Great things.
Bought on a whim.Never had isobaric speakers before.Plonked on epos es11 stands at first. Loved them so invested in CD stands for them.

I demoed all the Proac line upto the d20r and preferred the dt8. As soon as they went on I could tell they were to my taste, you’re immediately aware of the bass in music. I don’t find them overblown at all but they lead with the bass in music if that makes sense. I play a bit of bass guitar and always listen to the bass lines in music so they suit me. Took them home to try in my listening room (13x11ft) and they have been great. Something else I’ve noticed in time is their superb imaging and deep soundstage. This is the first pair of speakers I’ve owned with the d’apolito driver arrangement so that may be why. Of the standmounts the db3 have quite a similar bass first presentation. The D2 are closer to the d20r (but more intimate) and the db1 are their own animal, tight and energetic/dynamic. The tablets 10 have a special something in the midrange, it’s quite beguiling but don’t scale up like the bigger speakers. YMMV!

ah thats good to know the dt8 are doing well . they are pretty good vfm and being wood veneered is a plus . wish my demo had been better but must try again sometime

central audio who is member on here has a pair at 1495 which seems mighty good vfm

https://www.centralaudio.co.uk/index.php?page=products&id=9799

OK, since we are kind of in the same boat, I will throw in Audio Physic. There are a lot of different models, but something among the Classic range of floorstanders could fit the bill.

Also, in the second hand market, Proac D18. I love that speaker, and in my smaller (5m x 6m) space, prefer it to the D20R. They image superbly, have a big soundstage, and a natural tone, veering slightly on the warm side. They trounced the Dynaudio Special 40 for me, it all comes down to taste.

I've seen quite a lot of mention of the D18's and searched for them 2nd hand but can't seem to find any at the moment but will keep looking.

I'll also check out the Audio Physic so thans for that.

I demoed all the Proac line upto the d20r and preferred the dt8. As soon as they went on I could tell they were to my taste, you’re immediately aware of the bass in music. I don’t find them overblown at all but they lead with the bass in music if that makes sense. I play a bit of bass guitar and always listen to the bass lines in music so they suit me.
YMMV!

Then I read this comment and am back to considering them again o_O :D

I'm a drummer .... any drummer worth their salt will work with the bassist and appreciate how much they contribute to the melody in a subtle way so I'm the same and love / listen to and pick out a good bass line as a major part of the song.
Not necessarily my 1st choice in music but some great tracks for great bass lines / bass players are Nights on Broadway - Candy Station, Thinking of You - Sister Sledge and Nikitta - Elton John.
That said there are so many that are briliant, Jack Bruce, Pino Palladino to name just a couple.

I'm a drummer .... any drummer worth their salt will work with the bassist and appreciate how much they contribute to the melody in a subtle way so I'm the same and love / listen to and pick out a good bass line as a major part of the song.
Not necessarily my 1st choice in music but some great tracks for great bass lines / bass players are Nights on Broadway - Candy Station, Thinking of You - Sister Sledge and Nikitta - Elton John.
That said there are so many that are briliant, Jack Bruce, Pino Palladino to name just a couple.

Best to try and hear for yourself if you can.

I LOVE that Nikita bass line :)

You should definitely try them, my room is problematic when it comes to bass, yours might not be. The D20R is warmer and silkier than the D18, and clearer when listening to TV. I really wish they suited my room. Also, I am the type of person who does not like the bass from subwoofers, so I have my own peculiarities of taste.

If anybody has recommendations of other floorstanders I should be looking at, the one thing I really don't want is bright / fatiguing, I love punchy and detail / seperation ... if you can think of anything that ticks those boxes and is generally warm please do throw them into the mix.

Sonus Faber Sonetto III

Sonus Faber Sonetto III

Literally 1/2 hr afetr seeing this response I was speaking to a dealer about some Dynaudios and he said the Sonus Faber Sonetto iii's and V's are amazing and incredibly warm, I've heard this a few times now so may take a look at them as well.

Do you have a pair ... if so what did you come from and how do they compare, amy comments on their sound appreciated.

There's a pair on the Wam classified atm. No connection to the seller.

I just found them thank you, he's about 2 1/2 hr's drive each way and collection only .... interesting though he's bought the DR20R's and is keeping them so probably doesn't find them boomy or he would have sent them back and hung onto what he already had .... I guess.

Literally 1/2 hr afetr seeing this response I was speaking to a dealer about some Dynaudios and he said the Sonus Faber Sonetto iii's and V's are amazing and incredibly warm, I've heard this a few times now so may take a look at them as well.

Do you have a pair ... if so what did you come from and how do they compare, amy comments on their sound appreciated.

I just found them thank you, he's about 2 1/2 hr's drive each way and collection only .... interesting though he's bought the DR20R's and is keeping them so probably doesn't find them boomy or he would have sent them back and hung onto what he already had .... I guess.
Twice I've done seven hour round trips driving for speakers.

As far as I'm aware the D20R is just a newer/better version of these D18's. Hence why this person clearly likes them.

I think you'd do well to listen to stuff first. It's easy to go wrong with second hand purchases (although if you buy well equally as easy to move stuff along). I spent a long time spinning kit; amps, speakers, wires etc. just trying lots of different stuff. I've got a few things wrong or been disappointed. Dealers can help to guide you.

I'd also take anything you read or get recommended with a pinch of salt as your ears are different to mine or anyone else's.

Happy shopping!!

No, I don't have a pair, I did have a pair out on loan from a local dealer but he is no longer dealing with the distributor so they had to go back.
I had been using Sonus Faber Concertos (original) for over 20 years and Sonus Faber Olympica I for a few years recently.
The Sonetto III worked nicely about 18 inches from the rear wall, a bit more from the sides in a medium sized room , 15 x17.5 ft approx, easy to drive, great detail and seperation, lovely midrange not a hint of glare or fatigue, decent bass too, no real complaints and I probably would have kept them but the dealer needed them back and we were moving house at the time.

advertisement

Back