advertisement

Pro vs Prosumer

My camera body is made by Canon, I have two 'wobbly plastic' lenses for it and my phone makes my wang look small.

I know you're joking but I don't quite understand why Canon is so maligned round here either. In fact, they have a few things going for them which I would have thought were in line with PFM's photographers' priorities. Namely very, very, very good (and fast) primes {35/1.4, 85/1.2, 135/2, 200/2.8, 200/2} (there's also a 50/1.2 but reports are conflicting and I've not had a chance to try it myself yet), full-frame sensors & large viewfinders.

Vuk, nice camera but what's with that photo dude? Damn.

Oh, and back to the main point of the thread. I try and use the smallest, lightest camera that will still get the job done. I've had a 1D and 1Ds, but I now shoot a 5D and 40D. Don't get me wrong, the 1-series cameras are a joy to use but they offer very specific things (which I don't need) over say, a 5D. As a side note, when I had the 1Ds it wasn't uncommon to use my 350D in preference. Seriously, if you can't take a decent shot with *any* modern DSLR, a 1D or D3 ain't gonna help. If you check out gear forums (e.g. fredmiranda) you'll see they're full of people ploughing money into expensive gear when that's really not the fundamental problem.

andy

I have 5 cameras but this is mainly as I can't be arsed to sell the old ones :)

Seriously, if you can't take a decent shot with *any* modern DSLR, a 1D or D3 ain't gonna help.

I would go further and say that anyone who can make good photos with a D3 (or an M6 for that matter) would also take good photos with a basic compact.

Of course if you do take good photos with a basic compact you would benefit from a better camera and you should probably take advantage of some nice chap with a non feng shui compliant number of cameras and blag him for one on loan to get his chakras back in balance :)

vuk.

p.s. i have nine cameras and though it doesn't feel quite right, i don't like the number 8 or 10 and feel confused about the direction to take next. both 7 and 11 are nice. hmmm, this sound suspiciously like the mana effect.

According to the Chinese the number 8 brings prosperity. So next time I am in Hong Kong (Next Tuesday) I'll have to buy myself 4 more digital SLRs.

i wouldn't really know what to do with a dslr

Exactly the same as you do with your camera. Except with a viewfinder and possibly better knobs. Although I don't see what's wrong with yours, certainly more convenient to carry round.

More important, why did Vuk photograph his Zorki on his frilly, red silk panties?

Joe

Fishies,

Do I need a Contax TVS II as a carry-around camera?

Product_83349.jpg

I've wanted one for years and reckon they ought be be affordable, now that film is out of fashion.

Joe

Anex,

The TVS has a very short zoom -- 28–58mm -- so think of it as a 35mm with a bit of wobble.

Joe

i wouldn't really know what to do with a dslr

I think the specific look you get is partly down to using a small sensor camera like the Ricoh, so I wouldn't sweat it. It's all part of your style 'n that.

Isn't red silk underwear SAS standard issue? Ross Kemp would know.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back