advertisement

Prize collection of scam

Especially given it actually contains a mobile number which is a breach of eBay’s terms and conditions. I guess there is some dodgy HTML in that listing that gets round eBay’s rules.

Dealing with spammers, hackers, scammers is a full-time job that never ends as whenever one exploit is plugged another is found. It is a constantly moving target. I have a lot of sympathy with eBay and any other website as it costs so much time and effort to deal with utter scum who shouldn’t be there at all.

The scam is to hook a buyer into contacting them and then getting the buyer to bank transfer funds or such unprotected payment means. Even when we report such listings to ebay, they don’t seem to be taken down very quickly, if at all. You would think they could develop an algorithm to identify such listings, especially those with multiple reports of scam listing, so that they are suspended and removed immediately. I also think the ebay identity check system should be tightened. It seems too easy for scammers to setup multiple accounts.

There's an Audionote DAC that was sold by Acoustica on Ebay about three weeks ago, listed by the same 'seller'.

I saw a Luxmnan amplifier on Reverb. Reverb offers buyers its own protection. When I made contact, the seller wanted to continue dialogue outside of Reverb and to use bank transfer only. It's still listed. Someone will get stung.

Astonishingly it's all still up. These "sellers" normally disappear pretty quickly.

11 pages of expensive stuff and little previous activity so the only possible conclusion is that its either an Oligarch with multiple homes who's suddenly fallen on very hard times or a scammer.

He is trying to sell something I own, using photos from an advert a year ago....

I also reported the seller. The conclusion is, like Facebook, eBay don't care.

Astonishingly it's all still up. These "sellers" normally disappear pretty quickly.

11 pages of expensive stuff and little previous activity so the only possible conclusion is that its either an Oligarch with multiple homes who's suddenly fallen on very hard times or a scammer.

Who on earth bids a grand plus on an item listed by a seller with 651 listings but a feedback rating of.... 15 (and those all as a buyer) Bonkers.

I once reported a seller on eBay for selling counterfeit trademarked merch and they pretty much told me to FO because I couldn't prove it even though I was the trademark holder. Luckily the seller backed off immediately I contacted him, but someone more determined could have just carried on. My conclusion was that eBay couldn't care less.

Similar account hijack for an account that never sold anything, now has hundreds of high value listings.
Even the dodgy text for off eBay sale is identical! No doubt eBay will resolve this with their usual speed....

Similar account hijack for an account that never sold anything, now has hundreds of high value listings.
Even the dodgy text for off eBay sale is identical! No doubt eBay will resolve this with their usual speed....
When the penny finally drops!
Must be many thousands of these types of account hijack at any one time.

You can tell it's a scam instantly, there's no way that is a picture of an Italian room.
We are likely to be able to tell because it’s our area of interest but will a (probably young) back office team based in low income areas around the world?!

advertisement

Back