advertisement

Private Recordings.

George J

Herefordshire member
Here is a private recording of music making where I am the bass player:

This is a completely unedited live performance given by music enthusiasts rather than a finished studio recording, so please be gentle in your criticisms of either the sonics or the occasional fluff. I hope you can appreciate the joy in the playing, revelling in the energy of Bach's wonderful Concerto Number Three from his Brandenburg set.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Yes the joy was apparent to the point of a standing ovation in Witley Church even before we played the last piece - Greig's Holberg Suite. I edited out the applause on the transfer from tape way back in year 2000. Bach performances don't elicit extreme excitement on the whole!

Please forgive that I open up my last playing to scrutiny. It is not a vanity project, but rather to encourage others to play rather than always listen. I never thought I would be any good playing. Without a word of remorse, I surprised myself.

When I quit the little string band sadly it folded. But I had to keep standards and my playing declined through physical injury after this concert.

Thank you for your reply, dear Montesquieu

PS: Here is thread about the two great double basses I used. The the recording shows the 1996 Highfield [modelled on the 1666 Maggini] which was an instrument of significant power [even with gut strings] and broad dynamic and tonal resources.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/two-great-english-double-basses.228871/#post-3690985

Last edited:

Here is the next piece from the same concert. Greig's Holberg Suite.

I hope people enjoy the performance for what it is. A nice concert finale in serenade style.

Best wishes from George

Lovely!

My eldest daughter was in a Worcestershire youth choir. Their 'end of season' concerts were sometimes held at Witley church - some of our best memories of that choir period are at that event. A lovely place to hear music in.

Elgar's Elegy for Strings.

Simpler music [technically] than the two pieces above, but I was and remain very fond of its quiet, gently spoken wistfulness.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back