advertisement

Printer issues (network)

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, I've a Samsung M2070 laser printer connected wirelessly to a DrayTek Vigor 2862 router which is in turn connected to a Virgin Superhub 3 in modem mode.

For the most part the printer works fine but occasionally it disconnects from the router, which is installed right next to it, then it's a real pain in the neck to reconnect the printer but I can usually re-connected it by using either the pin code or the WPS button on both the router and the printer however today I can't get them to connect to each other.

I have tried connecting the printer to the USB port in the router and according to the web page for the router the printer is connected to the router but my MacBook pro can't 'find' the printer no matter which method I use to connect the printer to the router.

I have a fairly new HP laptop running WIN10 and although it can see the printer it reports it as being 'offline' and my MacBook Pro can also see the printer but I can't print anything as the printer dialogue box says 'waiting for the printer.

I tried deleting the printer from the printer settings on the MacBook Pro and then setting it up again and still nothing doing although if I connect the printer to the MacBook Pro with a USB cable I can print with the printer.

I'd much prefer to just connect the printer to the router with the usb cable option but I can't see how to alter any settings to have the MacBook Pro and the HP laptop connect and print to the printer.

I checked out Draytek's advice pages to connect via USB rather than wireless and it just says connect the printer to the usb port on the router and the router will see the printer which is does if you go to dashboard>online status>physical connections you can see the printer symbol and clicking on the usb port the printer is listed in there under USB device status>printer.

I might just buy a new printer as the current one is a bit old now and the printer cartridge is probably nearly empty but I'm lost as to why the printer won't connect wirelessly or USB although it's obvious that the router sees the printer but the laptops either see it and won't waken it up or they can't see it.

Thanks

Tony

PS, my iPhone XR can't see the printer either when I try to print something using airlink.

Win and network printing. My HP network printer exhibits the same sorts of behaviours. Mostly it works with our wired devices, but it is devilishly cunning in dropping off the network when i want to print from phone or Lenovo laptop.....who knows why.... yes it is a pain.

This is a guide for a 2860 but same idea
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-lpr-setup

If you get a new printer and it will live near the router get one with a network RJ45 port so you can use a network cable, simpler, more reliable than USB Print Server setup and faster than Wi Fi printing.

Wi Fi printing and printers in general are a royal pain in my arse, we get as many clients as possible to take a rental multi function but obviously not suitable for most home/small business.

This is a guide for a 2860 but same idea
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-lpr-setup

If you get a new printer and it will live near the router get one with a network RJ45 port so you can use a network cable, simpler, more reliable than USB Print Server setup and faster than Wi Fi printing.

Wi Fi printing and printers in general are a royal pain in my arse, we get as many clients as possible to take a rental multi function but obviously not suitable for most home/small business.

Thanks do you just connect the (new) printer to one of the router's Lan ports?

I have been using various printers over the last 16 years over WiFi (Windows/OS X/Linux) without problem once correctly configured.

You had a working set up that was intermittent which points to either a misconfig or a hardware fault.

You need to work through this logically rather than thrashing in all directions and with a suck-it-and-see approach - like many on pfm!

Go back to your original printer setup and check if the printer has been allocated an IP address by the router diagnostics> DHCP. Then if it has use diagnostics>Ping to see if it is reachable then we'll take it from there.

Have you updated the 2862 firmware as I have found the latest to be more stable with WiFi.

Cheers,

DV

My hp printer connect to my virgin hub via a network cable never fails, and using the universal print driver it’s easy to input the ip address and print wirelessly.

Pete

I had a similar issue a while back. I started off doing the DV-thrash;), to no avail of course. Lots of stuff online that did not work.
I never actually found the problem but instead went for a total reinstallation. I too was using a router connected by wire to the main modem. The modem itself was working perfectly so no need to fiddle with that.
I uninstalled the printer and reset the printer to out-of-box (Epson) and used Epson's clean-up routine to completely eradicate the printer software from the PC. The phones and other laptops involved also had their versions of Epson software deleted for fresh install.
First set up the router again and besure all other devices can see and communicate with it for internet usage.
Then set up the printer for the wifi, in my case I had to set it up via USB to the PC first and then continue with Wi-Fi. All went smoothly, printed off the settings sheet from the printer software so all settings could be checked later if problematic (IP address etc.).
I continued with my laptop, reinsatalled the software for a Wi-Fi only set-up, which also went smoothly, then each device in turn, no failures.

The whole system has been rock solid since, I assumed a rogue setting somewhere. In hind sight I learned that "someone" tried to set up "Direct-Printing" using the WPS button on the router with a device that had never been on the network, so I assume this was the real cause?

Edit: I avoid devices own Wi-Fi print programmes as they are inveriably glitchy.

^^I guess that your router defaulted to an APIPA IP address after 'someone' had played with it. Most printer have a diagnose or similar mode that prints out all the internal settings. Usually you hold down a button on the printer whilst powering on.

Cheers,

DV

I have been using various printers over the last 16 years over WiFi (Windows/OS X/Linux) without problem once correctly configured.

You had a working set up that was intermittent which points to either a misconfig or a hardware fault.

You need to work through this logically rather than thrashing in all directions and with a suck-it-and-see approach - like many on pfm!

Go back to your original printer setup and check if the printer has been allocated an IP address by the router diagnostics> DHCP. Then if it has use diagnostics>Ping to see if it is reachable then we'll take it from there.

Have you updated the 2862 firmware as I have found the latest to be more stable with WiFi.

Cheers,

DV

Hi DV, I don't think that the printer is being allocated and IP address.

I did do an update the firmware on the router this afternoon.

I'll post a screenshot shortly.

Thanks

Number 8 isn't the printer I don't think anyway the printer is just constantly trying to 'connect' wirelessly when I try with a pin or with the WPS buttons.

I'm beginning to think that the printer is faulty.

I enabled 'bonjour' and LPR print settings in the Draytek and deleted the Samsung printer in OSX printer settings then selected Draytek bonjour in OSX and it found the printer and appeared to print to it but didn't.

Hi DV, I don't think that the printer is being allocated and IP address.

I did do an update the firmware on the router this afternoon.

I'll post a screenshot shortly.

Thanks

Screenshot-2021-01-11-at-17-28-55.png

thanks for sharing all your mac addresses

You're not on your own
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...isconnecting-from-wireless-system/td-p/460822

Print a diags sheet from the printer
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790142

You can print Network Configuration Report from the machine’s control panel that will show the current machine’s network settings. This will help you to set up a network.

The machine has the display screen: Press the
b-b_menu.png
(Menu) button on the control panel and select Network > Network Conf. (Network Configuration).

The machine has the touch screen: Press Setup from the Main screen > Network > Next > Network Configuration.

The machine does not have the display screen: Press the
b_b-stop.png
(Cancel or Stop/Clear) button for more than 4~5 seconds on the control panel.

Using this Network Configuration Report, you can find your machine’s MAC address and IP address.

For example:

MAC Address: 00:15:99:41:A2:78

IP Address: 169.254.192.192

You're not on your own
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...isconnecting-from-wireless-system/td-p/460822

Print a diags sheet from the printer
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790142

You can print Network Configuration Report from the machine’s control panel that will show the current machine’s network settings. This will help you to set up a network.

The machine has the display screen: Press the
b-b_menu.png
(Menu) button on the control panel and select Network > Network Conf. (Network Configuration).

The machine has the touch screen: Press Setup from the Main screen > Network > Next > Network Configuration.

The machine does not have the display screen: Press the
b_b-stop.png
(Cancel or Stop/Clear) button for more than 4~5 seconds on the control panel.

Using this Network Configuration Report, you can find your machine’s MAC address and IP address.

For example:

MAC Address: 00:15:99:41:A2:78

IP Address: 169.254.192.192

IMG-1404.jpg

The printer is not getting an IP address from the Draytek - 169 addresses are called APIPA they are used so the printer has an IP address when nothing else is around to give it one - comkmonly a DHCP Server, i.e. your Draytek.

What's the Draytek got under USB Application/USB Device Status/Printer Tab?

Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) is a feature in operating systems (such as Windows) that enables computers to automatically self-configure an IP address and subnet mask when their DHCP server isn't reachable. The IP address range for APIPA is 169.254. 0.1-169.254. 255.254, with the subnet mask of 255.255. 0.0.​

The printer is not getting an IP address from the Draytek - 169 addresses are called APIPA they are used so the printer has an IP address when nothing else is around to give it one - comkmonly a DHCP Server, i.e. your Draytek.

What's the Draytek got under USB Application/USB Device Status/Printer Tab?

Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) is a feature in operating systems (such as Windows) that enables computers to automatically self-configure an IP address and subnet mask when their DHCP server isn't reachable. The IP address range for APIPA is 169.254. 0.1-169.254. 255.254, with the subnet mask of 255.255. 0.0.​

Screenshot-2021-01-11-at-18-12-35.png

Check USB Cable is connected properly. Swap it for another USB Cable you know works or test it on another device like a scanner/audio dac. Power Cycle Printer and watch the Draytek screen see if it pops in or hands out an IP.

Best check but I assume you've already got this setting in place?

USB General Settings - is the Print Server ENABLED?

Basically the Draytek detects the Printer on its USB port - allocates it an IP Number - the Draytek becomes a Print Server.

You setup the printer driver on any devices and tell it to print to that IP number. The print traffic hits the Draytek and it routes the printer traffic down the USB cable, kind of pretending to be a USB connected PC.

Basically the Draytek detects the Printer on its USB port - allocates it an IP Number - the Draytek becomes a Print Server.

You setup the printer driver on any devices and tell it to print to that IP number. The print traffic hits the Draytek and it routes the printer traffic down the USB cable, kind of pretending to be a USB connected PC.

I've connected the printer via USB but where can I find the IP number for the printer?

Thanks

If it detects a USB Printer it will give it an IP number and it will show up in the USB Device Status as per your screen cap. It looks to me like the Draytek is not detecting your Samsung Printer. Is the firmware up to date on the Samsung?

advertisement

Back