advertisement

Princess of Wales - Cancer diagnosis

Pretty clear the Royal PR machine is still utter garbage as proven by this silly 'Where's Kate' shit show.

Can they just stop talking about it now without it being at every turn?

Sad news about Kate, for her, and her family. Cancer is a real head-wrecker - you may get rid of it but you always wonder whether it will return.
Yes this is a worry with many cancers. They talk about 5 year survival rates but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t got into your bones or elsewhere only to show up say 10 years later. My wife is on drugs to hopefully prevent such a scenario. 67% of people with a cancer diagnosis die within 20 years…I’m not convinced that stat is helpful as a lot of people with cancer are “older” in the first place. That said it seems like more younger people (eg Kate) are getting cancer too….I don’t know whether the stats bear this out.

Yes this is a worry with many cancers. They talk about 5 year survival rates but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t got into your bones or elsewhere only to show up say 10 years later. My wife is on drugs to hopefully prevent such a scenario. 67% of people with a cancer diagnosis die within 20 years…I’m not convinced that stat is helpful as a lot of people with cancer are “older” in the first place. That said it seems like more younger people (eg Kate) are getting cancer too….I don’t know whether the stats bear this out.
My mother had breast cancer 35 years ago aged 45ish so the same age as Kate. Surgery, radio, recovered. She has just had it again aged 80. I don't call this "coming back", I call it a natural predisposition. Recovering, again. She's worried about it returning of course but if it takes another 35 years then it won't be her biggest problem by then. Fingers crossed.

All the best for your mum.

It’s when it comes back but in the bones or somewhere else. It seems odd to have breast cancer in say a leg but this is how it goes walkabout having lain dormant for sometime. If it returns in the breast that may be a 2nd independent occurrence.

My understanding is that breast cancer can spread via the lymphatic system and your blood. This is why they check the “sentinel” lymph node but can’t check your blood so well…not that any of this foolproof.

Last edited:
All the best for your mum.

It’s when it comes back but in the bones or somewhere else. It seems odd to have breast cancer in say a leg but this is how it goes walkabout having lain dormant for sometime. If it returns in the breast that may be a 2nd independent occurrence.

My understanding is that breast cancer can spread via the lymphatic system and your blood. This is why they check the “sentinel” lymph node but can’t check your blood so well…not that any of this foolproof.
Thanks . As I say we are now 35 years on from the last time so as you say these things can be independent. She had it at 45, checked annually for however long, nothing, then 2 years, nothing, then 10 years on they said "you're in the clear, no more risk than anyone else" . Great. It's returned aged 80. Well, 80 is 80. Something's going to get you, and sooner rather than later. Sorry. However much I want her to live forever, she won't.

There has been sharp increase in the number of under 50s getting cancer over the last 30 years. Not sure about reoccurrence or recovery rates. Best to your wife.

My wife? Erm, I'm not married. However my mother is fortunately still with us and enjoying reasonably good health for an octogenarian. So I'll extend your wishes to her.

I was replying to clivem2.

And yes, best to your mother.

always wondered how on earth some one that old/slim/has kids seemed unreal
How so? She has always been slim and attractive. So is her sister, look at the wedding photos and the press for everyone drooling over Pippa Middleton. They have good genes. She had children in her 30s. Plenty of women do. As for retaining her looks and figure, they are fantastically wealthy with a choice of beautiful homes maintained for them and have chefs, doctors and nutritionists / trainers on hand. She doesn't get exhausted by working 40 odd hours a week, commuting and all the rest, so she has time and energy to work on staying fit , eating good food and getting a decent amount of sleep. I'm not surprised that she looks good for her age.

advertisement

Back