advertisement

Prince Fatty dub production video

fay spook

pfm Member
We recently had the 50s recording video. Here is one from Prince Fatty. He's a dub producer. I love dub so this was up my strasse. Do watch it as it gives a lot of insights into the history of dub and production techniques. He comes across as someone who is knowledgeable and who loves the music.

I will certainly be trying out a few of his tips. Some I knew about or had figured out myself but there's plenty that you'll only know by working with the masters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Fatty is an extremely talented young man writing his own material, colaberating with 70's and 80's Reggae acts like Horseman and Tonto Irie and also producing for others check out The Skints and Hollie Cook to name two and also some 'Clash' LP's with Mungo's HiFi.

No idea what he's talking about most of the time, but his enthusiasm is infectious and kept me watching. Great vid.

No idea what he's talking about most of the time, but his enthusiasm is infectious and kept me watching. Great vid.

Bit too technical for me also, but interesting, some info may have sunk in. Have always enjoyed dub and have a few records.

Bloss

I liked the tip to move your delay and reverb times around. Take the delay/repeat times off clock and fiddle until it sounds right. I need to do a bit of brain retraining to appreciate the messy repeats. I think I'm too hooked on the beat.

I used an old guitar amp miked up until I gave it to my nephew. What I didn't give it was much space. It's amazing how much more alive sounding synth are where they're amplified. Now I'm using Guitar Rig. I must get a practice amp.

There's nothing new in the world.

Perhaps when TD were doing their early recordings people didn't think instruments should be recorded in any other way?

There's nothing new in the world.

Perhaps when TD were doing their early recordings people didn't think instruments should be recorded in any other way?

It was applying 60s recording techniques to a new and emerging technology.

advertisement

Back