advertisement

Price of Naim NAP52/NAP135/Supercap Late Olive

Have a look at Naim's dealer sites. Many of them list used gear and state when it is recently serviced.

Good advice as prices will differ a fair bit. Something in a minty unmolested condition, serviced with all boxes and paperwork will go for considerably more than a tatty marked unit with no history.

Also take a look at non-Naim servicing costs. Mark from Witch Hat audio is ex-Naim and offers this service (he contributes here too). Other non-Naim service options are available if you search.

At current prices Naim factory servicing just isn't a cost effective option (unlike 10 years ago when you really had no reason to look anywhere else).

If you want an "Official" Naim approved service cheaper then there's class A in Sheffield and Robert Ritchie + a couple of other dealers.

If you're happy with aftermarket (and there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't be) then Witch hat and Avondale are your people.

Factory serviced kit doesn't seem to get anything like a full return on money spent when its sold on so if you want reasonable VFM, best provenance and max resale potential that can be a good option.

A lot of the ebay dealers do their own servicing to reasonable standards (eg Naimly Linn and CJ) and you can get newly serviced kit for a slight premium over the equivalent unserviced item + parts cost.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

2002 kit such as you're after in unserviced condition might be £3K ish for 52/sc and £2K ish for a pair of 135's

Naim Nac 52 & Nap 135's are Classic pre/power of very high standard

IMO it takes something to really come close this combo

As for the SC, the new DR may be a better choice, no idea what they charge for conversation or service, sure Naim themself have a long waiting list so try alternatives, also to get a better Price, Naim have recently done a jump in prices

Fully agree on Class A in Sheffield with which I have excellent experience, fully recommended and he keeps things original which should be advised for best possible resale value.

I thought Witch Hat would offer a standard service but in doubt, sure he has the knowledge beeing a former Naim employee

The issue you should rethink:
You are buying at least 10-15 years old stuff, in fact everything is in need for service unless allready done offcourse, this is vital and you should investigate precise expenses/shipping? to add Price

Once done forget the gear and enjoy, one hell of a combo, hope you succede with answer to all your threads, speakers etc..IMO these do not need to be purchased based on the price only, on the contrary, I prefer my Eur 300 ES14 to a pair of very expensive ProAc.

I did go down the used Olive 52/135 route about 6 years ago. My logic being I could a) buy better sound per £ b) their build means little to worry about technically and c) buy new only items with more to go wrong or more fragile ie CD player or speakers or cartridges. This has meant I now have a mix of Olive and new styles but soundwise vs outlay, it takes some beating.

As other comments have said, factor in servicing for the amps. No brainer / night and day difference especially considering age. I used Class A - heartily recommend Darren.

Hi there,

I've just watched (earlier today) a late nac52 and slightly earlier supercap making £3,800 approx. on ebay. Seems late high end olive in on the rise if this sale is typical.

Regards

Brian

I would say a 400-ish premium per unit if recently serviced

The 52 and Supercap is highly desirable, so dont be afraid to spend the asking price as you will likely get it all back should you wish to move on to something else.

Anh

Hi there,

I've just watched (earlier today) a late nac52 and slightly earlier supercap making £3,800 approx. on ebay. Seems late high end olive in on the rise if this sale is typical.

Regards

Brian

Don't think it is typical or in fact good vfm.

Lotus 340R had a fully serviced 52 for about £2200 and a decent S/C shouldn't set you back much over a grand these days.

It was an older one though and having personally rejected an older 52/PS in favour of a much more recent 82 2xHi I'm pretty sure there is a lot of merit in getting the later production units. Perhaps the market has now realised this!

Hi Colasblue,

Like you I would have thought the seller did well. Neither of the units were serviced so I would have thought around 3 k would have been the price. Although who is to say not good value - can't be many 52s of that age.

Regards

Brian

advertisement

Back