advertisement

Pre-Power link wire, views please...

Nic Robinson

Phew!

After reading JMY's post and hearing of his success, my small 42 project seems a little piddly. Still....one day.

I do have a question for diy fish out there. I have hard wired an output lead to the 42 which terminates in a couple of phonos to plug into my LK100. The wire used was what my mate had lying around.

As i'm on the brink of FINALLY adding a new volume pot and posh selector, I thought I'd ask for your views on the best wire to replace this pre/power link with. I favour hard wiring to the preamp still.

What should I get? Probably needs to be no more than 1.2 metres.

Cheers,

Nic. (PS I promise to post photos to those who asked just as soon as I can get my act together)!

For a couple of people on the zerogain forum I've built 5pin din to both rca and 5pin din connectors. These have been made with 4n silver wire, I've had positive feedback from both. If you need any contact me via PM It doesn't come with a HIFI price tag !! I can even do you a kit to make your own !!

I've placed comments by a couple of users on the following

http://zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=8444#post8444

zanash,

Maybe I'm dumb, but what does '4n' mean? Each wire is four strands of silver?

On the issue of rewiring, I've been looking at rewiring the BNC socket to pre-amp board on my 32.5 with the shielded, pure silver wire available on Maplin. Is this classed as 'trick wire'?

No not a dumb question more my assuming that people would know.

Silver of 99.99% puritey is known as fine silver or 4n denoting the number of 9's. There is much confusion in hifi circles as you often see 5n and 6n for silver. To obtain such puriety is just about impossible, colloidal silver can be as close to pure but only occurs in small quantities.

The confusion arrises because IMO people think 4n means 4 nines after the decimal point, 99.9999% and then other see this and call it 6n the total number of nines.

I've done a fair bit of research and find that no one on the assay side does better than 99.99%, so you have to ask where the Hifi types get the purer stuff !

hope that hasn't added to the confusion.

zanash,

Thanks for that. I've learnt something new today. Seems I'm spending my life learning, strange that :)

advertisement

Back