advertisement

Pre-amp recommendations

I would suggest the Music First Audio Baby Ref Classic (they do them in black, I believe), or, dare I say it, but if you fancy something in black with a streamer bundled in, how about a Naim 272?

With that budget and the stipulation to be in black, I think I’d get a pre-owned/ex-dem McIntosh. That’s would be a lovely piece of equipment to use.

All down to preference, but I’m a bit of a fan of using a really nice valve preamp with active studio monitors as it seems to balance things out really well. I also seem to like at least one valve between me and a digital source! If they were mine I’d be looking at the better second hand options from Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Nagra, Verdier etc etc, and from there tube-roll to taste.

Maybe one of the Schiit pre amps would also fit the bill. Tube, fancy relay driven stepped attenuation, balanced and unbalanced inputs, US made and not too expensive.
Something like this: https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

I'd go either for the Hegel P20 at £2250 or the Benchmark HPA4 which is a line and headphone amp, bal in/outs for £3500 or £3650 with remote.

Maybe one of the Schiit pre amps would also fit the bill. Tube, fancy relay driven stepped attenuation, balanced and unbalanced inputs, US made and not too expensive.
Something like this: https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

it would indeed be good to try a freya , their remote control is nowhere near as fine control as the bel canto pre 3 vbs , extraordinarily revealing pre amp . whether that would suit atc i am not sure

if the op was nearer i would bring over the bc to try but i fear not

i had the freya in the system

speaker to puresound a couple of years ago i learnt that they sell a few of the L300 to active atc owners as they match well . however they are MASSIVE and not everyone can accommodate them

If you are patient, you might find a s/h EAR 912 for £3.5 - £4.5k

1205ear139389.jpg
one just sold on aos for 5.2 k

Michi P5 is a nice modern pre-amp within budget. Built in DAC that supports MQA, also built in phono stage. Have a really nice build and sound very good when I heard it partnered with the power amps and B&W 804s

I was also going to suggest Bryston, but a one box one might be tricky to find within budget. A BP26 has a small external PSU, they shouldn't be too hard to find, but strictly speaking it is two boxes and fairly basic in way of spec compared to the above Michi.

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge including a studio class DAC and built in streamer, even has a phono stage which may or may not better your Fono

Linear Tube Audio, US$4500, about 3500 pounds. OTL (output transformer-less) design. I have a lesser-spec'd MZ2 and love its neutrality and clarity, and it is not at all clinical-sounding or boring. I've owned Superphon, Conrad-Johnson and Audible Illusions preamps, among others, and I flat out love my LTA.
ZOTLpreamp-001.jpg

I’m also running an LTA MZ2 as a pre.
It really is a lovely sounding thing, as stated above. It is 2 boxes though, but they are both quite small.

Passives don’t amplify, so they’re not pre-amplifiers.

Don't forget some have a switch that puts the primary windings in parallel for a 6dB increase in gain. So technically they can provide gain, but not in the same way an active unit does...

Don't forget some have a switch that puts the primary windings in parallel for a 6dB increase in gain. So technically they can provide gain, but not in the same way an active unit does...

I did think of that before posting but decided it didn’t count!

advertisement

Back