advertisement

Powerline / Homeplugs

I had 300mbps powerlines connecting my ADSL router to my upstairs room computer location at the other end of an average 1960s four bedroom detached. The upstairs powerline was plugged in to a gig ethernet switch, which PCs, and NAS was plugged into. The elderly router's wifi couldn't stretch to the upstairs room, but a wireless extender plugged into the kitchen (beneath the upstairs room) sorted out mobile devices that didn't have ethernet. The downstairs TV in the room next to the router buffered often on the powerlink.

After I upgraded to fibre and got a BT router with 802.11ac life has changed. I also got new powerline 1000mbps plugs to connect the downstairs to the upstairs. With the new plugs, ethernet over powerline is way slower than wireless. The 802.11ac seems to stretch much further. If I didn't have a NAS on my LAN (which complicates stuff) I would just ditch powerline, since new wifi standards are really very good. All the downstairs kit is now wireless and loving it.

Using thinkbroadband's speed tests I am getting twice the speed with wireless than I get with 1000mbps powerline.

Having said all of that, powerline things work, but maybe, nowadays, they are lagging behind decent wifi. At least they are for me.

If you're using the 300mbps and 1000mbps plugs at the same time the speed will be limited to (the lower of the two specs) 300mbps.

advertisement

Back