advertisement

Powered speakers for Squeezebox Touch in kitchen?

GRC

More Red Wine Member
Looking for any suggestions for a small-ish pair of powered / active speakers for use in our kitchen whilst I'm "creating". :)

I'm a big fan of LMS and Squeezeboxen for years and currently using a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen but would like to upgrade for better / fuller sound. Also a fan of AudioEngine products and I use A2 speakers via D1 DAC on my iMac but they're only good for desktop / nearfield. I use A5+ speakers from a Squeezebox Touch on the covered terrace but I'd like something a bit smaller physically - somewhere between A2 and A5.
Just to be controversial - anyone tried a soundbar in a similar situation? Not looking for mega sound quality (it's the kitchen) and I'm normally streaming FLAC from the iMac so don't want cheap sh*t but I can't run to things like KEF LSX.

Kitchen is only a little over 4 x 4 metres in size. Might like to try the speakers on top of wall units but TBA.

Don't need streaming / wireless / bluetooth - just analogue RCA / 3.5mm or digital optical / coax inputs. Otherwise, they MUST be available in white and preferably with a grille because of the kitchen environment.

Budget preferably less than €350 (pair) new or used and I'm in Portugal so EU availability required.

Did I miss anything?

Although it may only partially meet your better/fuller sound requirements, you could pick up another SB Radio and configure them as a stereo pair. I have done this in my garden occasionally and was pleasantly surprised with the result.

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Output_Channel_Mode.html#:~:text=This means that two Squeezeboxes,Squeezeboxes, each playing both channels.
I know that this can be done (although never tried) but IMHO it's not very elegant as a permanent solution. I do have some "aesthetic considerations" to - well - consider as well . . .

If you can find some, JBL LSR305 were made in white. No grill though...

I too use LMS in the kitchen. A few years ago we had a burst pipe so when the ceiling was repaired I fitted in ceiling speakers. Bought a Class D amp off ebay that's hidden in the electric switch cupboard along with a wifi router and the LMS unit. Powered on by a remote mains switch from Poundland and all controlled and operated from the phone.
Perfect kitchen music source that you can't even see.

Sonos Era 100 with the line in adapter, avail in white and ideal for kitchen environments, in fact if you use the Sonos app your won't need to connect or use the Touch. A single Era will suffice, I use a single Sonos One in a kitchen that's larger then yours and it's more than good enough, I might eventually add another for stereo, but so far haven't bothered.

advertisement

Back