advertisement

power supply to hypex UcD400

ma_AV

hello all.
this is my first message.:)
I want to build a two mono block of UcD400,
does the Cap6 can work instead the hypex UcD Supply HG Mono ?
becouse I read that the hypex suplly has a Dual DC-protection
If someone know alternative to the Hypex Supply please inform me
tanks

In an earlier thread (Hypex modules)Ron found his Hypex worked better with dual rectification rather than a Cap6 ,if you hang on it is said that Hypex will have SMPS supplies out soonish.

I'm using UCD-400 with CAP-6, with the inductors replaced with 0.33 ohm resistors. The results are fantastic.
Yair

I have run a pair of UCD400ADs off a Coldamp SMPS with good results however having picked up a couple of cheap 530VA toroids I am now building a pair of monoblocs with them using a dual recitifier PSU described here:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/psu4.jpg

I'd recommend reading the full article:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps1_e.html

For capacitors I just chose some low ESR ones from Farnell that weren't too costly - 22,000uF 63V per rail I think.

Cheers
Simon

Hi,

in the Features of hypex power suplly "Dual DC-protection"
does the CAP6 has to? (why everyone dont like the hypex power suplly ?)
yair: I see picture of your UCD-400 did u use 500VA? what about soft start ?
in heypx support told me that if i use 500VA i mast use softstart. is that right ?

Hi all,
what cable is recommended to connect between the power supply and the UcD ?
is it truth that the case (box) need to be close hermetic ?
tanks

Dual DC-protection"
Dont see why a power supply would give dual DC protection the power supply is converting the AC from the transformer into DC at the rectifier, then smoothing through the capacitors to supply your amplifier board with a smooth DC+ 0V DC-, supply. DC decoupling and protection is on the amplifier board and speaker protection boards if used

what about soft start
A soft start is recommended when using large transformers to help with the sudden rush of current into your amps and the switch on thump which could possibly damage a speaker.
I have just fitted one to my power supply, I got it from Avondale http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/337alant/variouscannon233.jpg. and its very nice

You can just use mains flex to connect between power supply and amplifier.

Amplifier cases are normally ventilated and have heat sinks to provide cooling and prevent thermal run away, never heard of an hermetically sealed amp case

didn’t here anyone say they don’t like hypex stuff its supposed to be good so if you buy some you can let us know what its like, people are recommending the Avondale stuff because they are more familiar with it and they know that it has been designed with the best sound quality in mind it also has a proven track record on this forum, the cap 6s are excellent I have just bought 4

Alan

Hi,

yair: I see picture of your UCD-400 did u use 500VA? what about soft start ?

Hi ma_AV
I'm using 500VA trafos from Farnell, without soft-start.
I usually switch-on each mono-block separately, so that both will not come up at the same time and bring the mains down...
As for power-supply cabling, I'm using a very thick (2mm diameter) silver-plated PTFE-insulated wire, about 10cm long for each leg.
Cheers
Yair

I thought the soft-start was just to stop the toroid's inrush current (before the magnetic field stabilises) from either blowing a fuse/trip switch or damaging any on-off switch you might have upstream?

I have been running my UCD400ADs off 530VA toroids with no soft-start and there's no thump at switch on with them. I thought I'd build a soft start circuit if I blew a fuse on power-up but I haven't had any problems so far.

I'm guessing here but it may be more of an issue in the US as their 110v mains voltage means everything is running with much higher currents?

Simon

Hi ma_AV
I'm using 500VA trafos from Farnell, without soft-start.
I usually switch-on each mono-block separately, so that both will not come up at the same time and bring the mains down...
As for power-supply cabling, I'm using a very thick (2mm diameter) silver-plated PTFE-insulated wire, about 10cm long for each leg.
Cheers
Yair

Tanks all.
Yair: can U give a link to the module of the transformer 500VA that u buy from Farnell,
by the way. did u buy the main fuse from Farnell ?
if so, can u add another link to this ?
regards

Hi,
I assume that there is many main fuse, can someone give an example of main fuse that match to the UcD400/180
Thanks

Hi all.
in hypex site i see the 500VA
in the incoming there is hank of 115/230vac with ( black white blue and brown)
in the outside there is 1 hank 42vac ( red blue red)
another 12 vac ( white white)
and another 12vac (yellow yellow)
total 11 cable
I look for a transformer 500VA and i dont find a similar 500VA such in hypex site.
can someone direct me where can i find/buy 500VA that match ?
tanks

advertisement

Back