Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Supply for MDAC

Discussion in 'audio' started by Sovereign, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Sovereign

Sovereign pfm Member

I don't see many aftermarket power supplies for the MDAC, either DIY or commercial products. The only power supply I have seen if from Nick of Longdog Audio.
    Any thoughts?

2. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

I had it, it was a lot better than the stock model.

3. Sovereign

Sovereign pfm Member

I would love to make a DIY attempt, has anyone tried this?

4. mr_phil

mr_phil If it isn't broken, try harder

Yup, mine is a plug in replacement with teddyregs providing +-15v for analog and +15 for digital

[​IMG]
    MDAC and PSU by mrphil42, on Flickr

It has 2 separate traffos and keeps analog and digital separate

[​IMG]
    MPSU internals by mrphil42, on Flickr

It requires no changes to the MDAC. Sound quality; it is better but not by a huge margin. More detail, better control etc etc and I did report on this here in PFM when I did it and we compared a vanilla MDAC PSU against this and against a sovereign modded MDAC with a clear hierarchy. Whether it is worth doing is up to you , mine was built largely from the spares box but I wouldn't pay more than £100 for the impromvent it gave

5. Sovereign

Sovereign pfm Member

Now that's what I was looking for.
    I don't have such a comprehensive spares box, if I was to buy the parts needed what kind of outlay would I be looking at?
    I do have the Sovereign upgrade though, so from the sovereign upgrade does the separate psu only provide a small upgrade?
    Thanks