advertisement

Power Supplies

Icedragon

Moving to the next level so dual question.....

HiCap Vs Teddycap for Naim CD5X
Any opinions regarding best bang for buck?
Obviously comparable price is new Teddycap (£320ish) compared to s/h Hicap probably of he late CB / early Olive range, but which of these will sonically be better?

and....

Power supply for LP12 / Cirkus / Ittok LVII
Budget for this @ £400, SH Lingo 1, Heed orbit, SH Origin Live, SH Avondale TAPS, ISOkinetik ISOdrive,
Ideally want 33/45 and shoebox shape is best for rack space.

Teddycap- sounds great- really good on my cd5x when i had it. Better value. Get a teddycap plus to power more than one piece of equipment.

TeddyCap is new but a S/H should not be discounted, both very good. That said I run a DIY SuperTeddCap/HiCAP clone and its ace!

A HerculesII in a MOSE box is bang on the money for you and superb to boot!

Icedragon,
you'll get an average 5 to 1 for TeddyCap on this forum, while probably the reverse on the Naim forum. And, in case someone alerts you on this, you actually CAN name TeddyCaps on the Naim forum; the forbidden name is Avondale, and not, it appears, because of Naim..

Anyway, I have tried almost all on a CD5x: a FlatCap2x, a HiCap, a TeddyCap. The Teddys, in general, seem to me to extract more >politeness< from Naim, to give detail and good manners but, in a way, to take off some of Naim's own character (which means nothing in terms of sheer quality). Naim PSUs are known to retain that certain je ne sais quoi which, for many, is just a light punch in the midbass and a more assertive attitude.

TeddyPardo is a very reliable and helpful guy, who offers a good return policy. Consider trying by yourself.

Cheers,
M.

Linn - S/H Heed Orbit would cost less than half your budget. A Mk I version would be cheaper still. excellent build quality and solid 33/45 rpm at the press of a button.

CD5X - Avondale SPX / TPX (again S/H will be well within budget).

I think you could get a S/H Heed Orbit / SPX, the pair for under 400 notes all in.

Icedragon,
you'll get an average 5 to 1 for TeddyCap on this forum, while probably the reverse on the Naim forum. And, in case someone alerts you on this, you actually CAN name TeddyCaps on the Naim forum; the forbidden name is Avondale, and not, it appears, because of Naim..

Anyway, I have tried almost all on a CD5x: a FlatCap2x, a HiCap, a TeddyCap. The Teddys, in general, seem to me to extract more >politeness< from Naim, to give detail and good manners but, in a way, to take off some of Naim's own character (which means nothing in terms of sheer quality). Naim PSUs are known to retain that certain je ne sais quoi which, for many, is just a light punch in the midbass and a more assertive attitude.

TeddyPardo is a very reliable and helpful guy, who offers a good return policy. Consider trying by yourself.

Cheers,
M.
I've heard conflicting reports that flatcap and Hicap either work / dont work with CD5x but nothing negative with the Teddycap (especially at the price) but forgive me if I am mistaken the Naim and Teddycap appear to take a differing philosophy in terms of build to gain same result.
Saying that I wouldn't like to lose the ... erm ....drive of the CD5x

but forgive me if I am mistaken the Naim and Teddycap appear to take a differing philosophy in terms of build to gain same result.
Saying that I wouldn't like to lose the ... erm ....drive of the CD5x

That's why I use SuperTeddyRegs but with Hackers Reg board and a large Transformer; best of both worlds.

Its this:-

DSC_4471.jpg

Nope.

I got fully built SuperteddyRegs from Teddy and then built them into a HiCAP case with a Hacker reg board and a transformer.

It's very easy for someone with a bit of DIY experience and hacker has written a superb build manual for his board BUT it's mains, so if you are not confident don't.

Why not ask on the DIY thread if someone can make it for you?

It's very easy for someone with a bit of DIY experience and hacker has written a superb build manual for his board BUT it's mains, so if you are not confident don't.

Why not ask on the DIY thread if someone can make it for you?
What's your "guestimate" of a cost for that?

I got my CB Hi with a Naim service about 5 yrs ago for 250, nice!

You'll pick one up these days for £350/400, nothing else has the bounce

advertisement

Back