advertisement

power for Tannoys?

Tannoy made car speakers? DCs?

No they never did, but one of the best sounding cars of all time was built by a chap called Bob Hobson - it was a BMW 5 series and had a pair of 8” Tannoy dual concentrics in the kick panels (System drivers I believe) it was amazing, Alpine front end, Phoenix Gold Amps and two 15” subwoofers in the boot.

The sound was something else, as the speakers were mounted so deep in the kicks it staged on the bonnet and imaged beautifully..

Getting back on topic... yes please get a Luxman Class A on those tannoys! I’d love to hear my V-fet amp on a pair as it has enormous power And the tightest grip on big cones I’ve experienced.. (only 12” here though)

great thread , and i can imagine ref 3 with some class d would sound amazing . a21se would give a very fast , dynamic sound which would be most compelling

i am sure the various gato offerings would be good too . as you know from the other thread i have used a good many amps now with the tannoy legacy and currently getting superb results with a bel canto pre and some ice power monoblocks which were rather good value . the thrax i mentioned i think would be too much money

i would stick with your luxman 505 , i am sure it will sound sublime . there are so many good deals on the cheviot especially s/h that it gives plenty of scope for different amps
Yes, the Gatos in classifieds here look like real bargains- their power capabilities are very impressive. My fist toe in the water with ice power was the 1200as2 which will kick out 700w pc into 4ohms. The bass quality is fantastic. You used to read about bass slam with Krells in the 80s when you’d have to have been a rich weight lifter to use one and now something you can buy for £700-£800 and pick up with one hand, will deliver the same current. You can see why Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto and others jumped on class D.

Yes, the Gatos in classifieds here look like real bargains- their power capabilities are very impressive. My fist toe in the water with ice power was the 1200as2 which will kick out 700w pc into 4ohms. The bass quality is fantastic. You used to read about bass slam with Krells in the 80s when you’d have to have been a rich weight lifter to use one and now something you can buy for £700-£800 and pick up with one hand, will deliver the same current. You can see why Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto and others jumped on class D.

yes had bel canto class d years ago . seems very very expensive now sadly . 5k for 2 ref 600 monoblocks is a lot of wedge !!!

https://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/bel-canto-ref600m.html

I haven't heard the Legacys, but I use MG15's in York corners with a few mods to cabinet and crossovers. I tried Class D Hypex N cores which were clean but just didn't float my boat. The best I have heard them is with an Audio Research power amp ( a modest VT60 ) and a TVC pre amp.

I believe the Legacy range work well with Unison Research - Simply Italy or Triode 25.

The Simply Italy is a superb amp. Easily bested a Sugden A21 when I had them both to try. That was into Proacs.

I'm not a massive Tannoy fan, or a valve nut, but I did own a pair of Devons some years ago (12" HPDs) and the amp they really sang with was a push-pull EL34 job (the humble AMC CVT3030 actually). The combo made for a lovely big friendly sound. Later, I had a pair of the 10" Super Gold Monitors which I never really got on with - but all my amps were solid state at that point.

I'll certainly
great thread , and i can imagine ref 3 with some class d would sound amazing . a21se would give a very fast , dynamic sound which would be most compelling

i am sure the various gato offerings would be good too . as you know from the other thread i have used a good many amps now with the tannoy legacy and currently getting superb results with a bel canto pre and some ice power monoblocks which were rather good value . the thrax i mentioned i think would be too much money

i would stick with your luxman 505 , i am sure it will sound sublime . there are so many good deals on the cheviot especially s/h that it gives plenty of scope for different amps
I'd certainly be starting there Nutt...It's the best amp I ever owned, but reading about the tannoy's sound signature, and knowing my room as cold and at times a bit unkind to a 'clean' top (hence the possible demise of the Harbeths, whose metal dome tweeter sounds fine in my well furnished living room, but too present in this current room) I was wondering if something 'sweeter' might suit....hence valves at the very front, then clean neutrality for the power :)

I believe the Legacy range work well with Unison Research - Simply Italy or Triode 25.

The Simply Italy is a superb amp. Easily bested a Sugden A21 when I had them both to try. That was into Proacs.
UR are certainly one company I know who make great amps, and would be 'on the list'.

UR hybrids also work well with Tannoys in my experience - well, the original Unico at least as that's the only one I tried! Funnily enough I'd also used a Sugden A21a and thought the Unico was better (into Tannoys).

cheers Calor...went to glimpse the Unico pages and the new Unico Due looks on paper to be spot on...valve front end running 83's and 100 wpc of pure class A power amp apparently AND a phono stage (I guess MM so an SUT will be needed but I actually prefer that sound to many inbuilt MC stages anyway).
Hmmmmm.
I used to have a Copland hubrid that I liked, although it was a tad 'soft' into the then Castle spekers, but think this is a must hear. Good shout.

The more I read of it the more I think it might, in fact, be an excellent choice for my present, slightly bright room and the harbeths :)

It's not class A and by my own criterion not a hybrid. I reserve that for amps where the power amp (or I guess pre amp) is a hybrid and never would use it for something with say a valve pre feeding a SS power amp. I'm not a fan of UR...

FWIW I designed probably the ultimate hybrid valve power amp several years ago... unique and different in ways that would be of no interest to the non technical... Even got it about 90% built... I lost interest in it. May finish it one day, who knows:rolleyes:

I haven't heard the Legacys, but I use MG15's in York corners with a few mods to cabinet and crossovers. I tried Class D Hypex N cores which were clean but just didn't float my boat. The best I have heard them is with an Audio Research power amp ( a modest VT60 ) and a TVC pre amp.
funnily enough I expected that of the ice power. It's actually as warm as the lavardin I had recently. Certainly not clean and sterile

advertisement

Back