advertisement

legacylenslover

pfm Member
Good afternoon all
in simple, non-technical terms, is there any way of ensuring that a power bank is “always on” irrespective of the load?
I know that a couple of Voltaic power banks have an always on feature but they are not cheap.
I’m also aware of numerous DIY hacks (wire up a small resistor etc), but this is not something I want to do (lack of skill, untidiness of solution, etc).
reason for asking is that I’m trying to power the “clean side” of my ALLO Digione Signature with a 5v battery pack but the power draw of the ALLO is insufficient to keep the power bank active. I’ve tried it with three different batteries - same result. Also, doesn’t seem to be affected by whether the Pi itself is powered up or not.
I suppose what I’m looking for is some very neat, small, plug in device (which draws a small amount of current to keep the battery active) and which has power pass through.
Any ideas or am I barking up the wrong tree here and simply need to find another solution?
Thanks
PS have thought about an IFI Power PSU (5v 2.5 amp) but this comes with a micro USB connector and I need USB C.

An off-shelf USB powerbank includes a switching step-up regulator to get to 5V, so is it really clean? I've never seen measurements, but I've always wondered about this as I assume the electronics here are designed to be a) cheap and b) compact - in that order. I would think a decent-quality 5V PSU would be better (or as good as) and of course if it is mains-powered your shutdown problem goes away?

An off-shelf USB powerbank includes a switching step-up regulator to get to 5V, so is it really clean? I've never seen measurements, but I've always wondered about this as I assume the electronics here are designed to be a) cheap and b) compact - in that order. I would think a decent-quality 5V PSU would be better (or as good as) and of course if it is mains-powered your shutdown problem goes away?
Fair points.
I guess the real issue is knowing what is a good quality SMPS.
The previous owner of my Digione suggested that the ALLO SMPS is excellent but if I want one, I have to import. And with the current uncertainty about VAT charging and other customs/handling fees, importing from the EU doesn’t seem an attractive prospect at the moment.

PS have thought about an IFI Power PSU (5v 2.5 amp) but this comes with a micro USB connector and I need USB C.
I though the IFI came with a selection of 'ends' so to speak?
Also, Micro USB to USB C adaptors are cheap.
Please forgive me if you thought of this weeks ago.

I though the IFI came with a selection of 'ends' so to speak?
Also, Micro USB to USB C adaptors are cheap.
Please forgive me if you thought of this weeks ago.
Thanks for this.
I’m fairly sure you’re right but the IFI which comes with the USB C connector is the more expensive 5v 3amp version. I don’t need this one as my Digione pulls next to no current.
I have asked IFI if they can supply me with a USB C connector in place of the micro USB which comes with this particular (cheaper, 2.5 amp) version.

Thanks for this.
I’m fairly sure you’re right but the IFI which comes with the USB C connector is the more expensive 5v 3amp version. I don’t need this one as my Digione pulls next to no current.
I have asked IFI if they can supply me with a USB C connector in place of the micro USB which comes with this particular (cheaper, 2.5 amp) version.
Or just buy the cheap one and a couple of quid adaptor.

I'm not a big fan of batteries. Instead I'm using the Allo Shanti with its two linear supplies. It works well powering the Allo USBridge Signature and DigiOne Signature. You may have trouble with import, though.

advertisement

Back