advertisement

Power Amp Upgrade?

Just put a scope on your speakers terminal and wind the SPL up until it's too loud. My 2-way speakers and/or my ears could only tolerate about +/-30V peaks for a short while.
That's about 112W peak (into nominal 8R).
The speakers in question are ~87db/W and fairly easy to drive. However let's assume they were hard to drive and were a 3Ohm load. Peak current would be ~10A.

There are not many 60W RMS amps that could not handle this!

In reality, for a "very loud" listening session it was more likely that I was hitting ~50W and ~3A peaks.

On the topic of Spendor S8s... didn't Noel Keywood used to use these for reviewing?
If so, it's probably a good reason to avoid/change them :)

Last edited:
You can’t be serious can you?

To answer the original query, it’s you. Just listen to the music, not to the system. Stop reading silly reviews and keep your money.
You’ll never be satisfied otherwise.

Erm, if I were to follow this to the letter, it’d mean it literally doesn’t matter what equipment I own, as long as I focus on the music.

Phew, that will save me lots in the long run - thanks!

To answer the original query, it’s you. Just listen to the music, not to the system. Stop reading silly reviews and keep your money.
You’ll never be satisfied otherwise.

I read very few reviews. The variable that's prompting me to ask the question is my ears, not magazines.

Erm, if I were to follow this to the letter, it’d mean it literally doesn’t matter what equipment I own, as long as I focus on the music.

Obviously I meant once you have a proper system that you chose and liked in the first place.

Here is a very good video regarding power requirements. Just started following this guy on YouTube and really like his videos.

I thought that was interesting and well presented BUT that room seems to have a great deal of reverberation. I can't imagine anything would sound any good without some serious room correction.

I thought that was interesting and well presented BUT that room seems to have a great deal of reverberation. I can't imagine anything would sound any good without some serious room correction.
He has some other videos listed also where he talks about the room Accoustics.

Well, it would. He's right, it's you. What you have now is more than enough for most people, including a couple of pro and semi pro musicians I know. They focus on the music, they enjoy it. Now if you want something else, that's up to you, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's still about you.

Well, it would. He's right, it's you. What you have now is more than enough for most people, including a couple of pro and semi pro musicians I know. They focus on the music, they enjoy it. Now if you want something else, that's up to you, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's still about you.

Come on, I know this is true, but it really is stating the obvious. Plus this place / entire hobby would be very boring, very quickly if we all took that advice literally. That's part of what fascinates me about it, there are so many roads to nirvana.

Come on, I know this is true, but it really is stating the obvious. Plus this place / entire hobby would be very boring, very quickly if we all took that advice literally. That's part of what fascinates me about it, there are so many roads to nirvana.
Indeed, but the man did ask. As for nirvana, that would be nice but a large proportion of people here are chasing rainbows.

No you are blind to the truth. Sorry.

Cheers,

DV

if you have a big room, inefficient speakers that are a difficult load and like to make your ears bleed listening to Led Zep then you will need something with enough current drive to start a tractor engine, if you have a normal size room with reasonably efficient speakers that are a semi reasonable loads, listen at normal volumes then in practice 2 or 3 watts is enough, I measured it, and I like EDM. If an amplifier lacks bass within your normal listening volume, it’s badly designed.

I am not familier with your amp but the Quad Artera is an updated Quad 909 stereo of which I was at one time the owner of three & never had a problem. However I preferred the Quad 99 monos which I have now been using for 15+ years.

I never owned the Spendor S8e's but did have a pair of S5e's which were replaced with some A5's which have now been replaced with by A5R's which are significantly different to the original S5e's. It took quite a while to get used to the difference but would not go back to the e's. If you think you are missing something I would suggest listening to some modern speakers before spending money on a new amp.

I am glad you like your Castle Richmond 3's - I blew mine up a few years ago & replaced them with a pair of ProAc Tablette Anniversary which are at a significantly higher level - I bought mine when they were being discontinued as I preferred them to the replacement model - but a significantly different speaker to the Spendor S8e. The amp I use with my tablettes is the Rega Elicit R which is certainly worth considering.

I suggest you take your time deciding & perhaps plan long-term. I have 4 systems with some old kit & some new kit but it has taken me 45 years to get to what I hope is my final equipment.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion. IMHO you get to the stage where the music shines through and the upgrade itch is then largely gone. I've also spend the last couple of years attending more live music (6 - 8 proms a year plus a few other events) - nothing captures live performance however I still listen to the stereo and really enjoy what I hear and there is now so much available in various formats.

Biggest improvement I ever made in power and control was the pre-amp! Just a thought. And the simple "upgrade" still works - I had to move everything and so all the connections were re-made and the plugs cleaned with wire wool. A noticable improvement!

DMP

I had S8s and found them a bit earth bound despite generous power/quality ( EAR509s). Have you considered a trial of different speakers?

I'd agree with this. Absolutely nothing wrong with your amp, Exposure kit is superb. Really think you could improve on your speakers with suitable budget.

I'd agree with this. Absolutely nothing wrong with your amp, Exposure kit is superb. Really think you could improve on your speakers with suitable budget.

Thanks and that's exactly what I am focusing on but, equally, the scale of choice is wide and I need to get it right. I've pretty much landed on floorstanders as the room is quite small but am still mulling over which to demo and ultimately go for. It's proving difficult to get out when I need to in these mad times but I have pretty much narrowed down the initial listening to:

• ATC SCM11 or 19 (latter may be a bit too big)
  • ProAc Tablette Signature or D2R
  • Fyne Audio F500
There is nowhere local to me that does them all so likely to be a drawn out process.

You should add the Amphion Argon1 to your list, they are superb little speakers, I prefer them to my previous Argon3S & Harbeth P3esr on the end of my Exposure 3010S2D.

I actually looked at the 3S but was somewhat put off by the design of the rear and where the terminals are located above the bass radiator. I have also seen them described as 'bright'?

In absolutely no way could the Argon 3S or 1 be described as bright, they have the most natural & non fatigueing top end of any speakers I have owned, in fact I would suggest a quick demo in a hifi store would probably be the worst way to sample them because they don't have that "bright" tinkling top end that sounds so appealing over the short term but ultimately grates over a longer term listen.

advertisement

Back