advertisement

Power amp for Isobariks

The designer of the Lavardin IT amplifier used Isobariks and designed the amplifier with these in mind.

A friend had such a setup which he has just sold, I think he is already regretting it.

He used 135's to power the Isobariks prior to the Lavardin, but both him and his wife immediately noticed how real the music became with the introduction of the Lavardin.

A Naim amp, particularly pre Black Box, sound a bit more technicolour next to a Lavardin.

A fiction can be more entertaining. :)

The designer of the Lavardin IT amplifier used Isobariks and designed the amplifier with these in mind.

A friend had such a setup which he has just sold, I think he is already regretting it.

He used 135's to power the Isobariks prior to the Lavardin, but both him and his wife immediately noticed how real the music became with the introduction of the Lavardin.
Not wanting to derail the thread but ... what happened with Lavardin? Is there an old thread I should read?

Avondales are smoother if you can find a second hand one.

However, your Caiman is really an budget dac and not sure the vol pot is brilliant - mate has one and at my suggestion he tried that route but preferred his Cyrus preamplifier.

I'm not knocking the Caiman as it's a good budget dac, but I've heard it in my system and tbh the Weiss I have now completely blows it away.

I think some may have hit the nail on the head with a better description of what I am finding here. Perhaps 'harsh' is the wrong term to use - 'bright' is probably better and it can quickly become fatiguing to listen to - depending on the track/artist/recording.

I have often wondered how much better the Caiman would be via the fixed line outs, but I'd need a preamp to try that out. What I really don't want is a huge pile of boxes in the living room! :)

Perhaps the problem does rest more at the front end?

p.s. Thanks for the suggestion of the Lavardin amp, but checking the for sale thread I'd say £2k is well over my budget :(

I think the problem rests at the back end. In the end Briks were not for me. In my room they were slow and ponderous with a coarse shrieking treble. Like you are in danger of doing I spent a fortune trying to make them work and I suspect they are not as good as people like to think they are. I now still use Isobarics but they are made by Neat. I suggest you listen to another big speaker (eg: the Ruark Crusader II -£500 to £1200 on Ebay, for example.) before you spend a penny.

I think some may have hit the nail on the head with a better description of what I am finding here. Perhaps 'harsh' is the wrong term to use - 'bright' is probably better and it can quickly become fatiguing to listen to - depending on the track/artist/recording.

I have often wondered how much better the Caiman would be via the fixed line outs, but I'd need a preamp to try that out. What I really don't want is a huge pile of boxes in the living room! :)

Perhaps the problem does rest more at the front end?

p.s. Thanks for the suggestion of the Lavardin amp, but checking the for sale thread I'd say £2k is well over my budget :(

I'd say it's a mix of quite revealing (read potential for harshness) pair of speakers and a front end which has potential for improvement as good as your dac is.

My experience of Saras/Briks is they work better with
vinyl.

I think the problem rests at the back end. In the end Briks were not for me. In my room they were slow and ponderous with a coarse shrieking treble. Like you are in danger of doing I spent a fortune trying to make them work and I suspect they are not as good as people like to think they are.

As accurate a description of these ghastly devices as I've ever had the pleasure to read. Those who maintain that music may be reproduced by these antiquated boom-boxes, are simply deluding themselves.

I certainly feel my briks have got more potential yet. The bass and mid are fine as far as I'm concerned, but the treble is just a bit too punishing.

I've read somewhere that they really only work properly when made active, so perhaps that's the answer? I doubt I'd go for the Linn active crossover though (too much £££ and too hard to find), more likely a generic active crossover.

I converted from Naim to NVA. Smooth, sweet and balanced and lots of muscle too in the mono block A 70 or 80 s and you get to return them if you don't like them. ( I am not a Mole for NVA b.t.w, just like what they do)

Slow, wooly bass w/briks is either a rocking stand (or speaker upon the stand) and/or B110s (yes, the midband driver) needing a bit of tightening down on the baffle. It may also be caused by an amp not up to the task of controlling them.

Shrieking is due to some other problem in the system simply being exposed by the speaker unless a handful of Linn/Naim haters can hear and thousands or owners, reviewers and industry personnel are deaf. I suspect it's not the latter.

advertisement

Back