advertisement

Power amp for HPD385?

GF670

pfm Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for a power amp to drive a set of Tannoy Berkeleys? I have a Radford STA25 but I’m currently using it in a different system with some LS3/5a speakers.
I’m ideally looking for something reasonably priced and solid state.
My initial thought would be something by Quad? Maybe a 303?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a power amp to drive a set of Tannoy Berkeleys? I have a Radford STA25 but I’m currently using it in a different system with some LS3/5a speakers.

What's a "reasonably priced" budget for you?

@Tim Jones just posted a very compelling thread on the new REGA Elicit Mk. 5.

With 105W per channel into 8 Ω (or 162 in to 4 Ω) up its sleeve - and the first 10W-15W remaining in Class A - I think the Elicit Mk. 5 probably deserves consideration for your 96dB sensitive TANNOYs.

But it still comes back to your budget really, doesn't it?

Last edited:
I'm using a Quad 606 driving Lancaster MG12s. (I put it in the system to drive some MG IIIas and kept it there when they came out for repair). Sounds great to me.

Would stick with a 303, thats all they need.

Serviceability is excellent,you can even buy fully populated boards from Ferndale electronics for £128 or a full refreshed one from him at £275.

Use my Tannoys with sta 25 and 303 for everyday,upgraded to a 909 purely to drive bigger speakers...

If u swap out speakers and need watts and a bit more a 909 is excellent..

Bit more these days £500 plus..

Dont discount other quad amps 405,306,520,606 etc...

Budget and looks/synergy will perhaps help u decide

I'll second the recommendation for a Quad, in my cases a 909.

You really ought to consider moving the STA25 onto the Tannoys though, they're a great pairing.
The STA25 is what I normally use, and I agree it’s a great pairing. It’s just that my second system is temporarily my main system and the LS3/5a sound great and with the Radford. My thinking is that if I had a Quad 303 or similar it should work well with both the Tannoys and Stirlings meaning I could swap them around depending on mood/circumstances etc.

I suppose another way of putting it is that I currently have two sets of speakers, two preamps, but only one power amp so want another reasonably priced power amp which would work in both systems.

Would stick with a 303, thats all they need.

Serviceability is excellent,you can even buy fully populated boards from Ferndale electronics for £128 or a full refreshed one from him at £275.

Use my Tannoys with sta 25 and 303 for everyday,upgraded to a 909 purely to drive bigger speakers...

If u swap out speakers and need watts and a bit more a 909 is excellent..

Bit more these days £500 plus..

Dont discount other quad amps 405,306,520,606 etc...

Budget and looks/synergy will perhaps help u decide
Thanks that’s good to know

advertisement

Back