advertisement

Power amp for chord hugo

owl

pfm Member
I'm putting together a system from scratch. Speakers are likely to be shahinian compasses (can't afford obs), and a chord hugo as the front end (I'm a Qobuz convert!). I will use the pre amp section of the hugo as I don't use other sources. I'm not sure what power amp to use, I will probably do it in 2 stages, getting a reasonable power amp now and then upgrading when funds allow.

I'm a tech novice - could I use the hugo directly into a naim nap140? I can't afford a chord amp or a dynavector for the moment. I do
Like the nap 140 (remember one from 20 yrs back!).

Advice will be really appreciated!

This is a great strategy- the Hugo doesn't need a pre, which would only veil it anyway in the majority of cases. I've run it direct into both valve and solid state power amps ( though not naim) and it sounds fantastic.

Thanks - were you using your Weiss dac directly into the Avondale power amp?

Do all naim power amps need to be used with their pre amps?

Yes, I was using it direct, the Weiss arguably makes a better preamp though as it has variable outputs.

It's a case of trying it to be honest as some prefer with a pre-amp.

Naim power amps are entirely happy being driven by any low output impedance source, and the Hugo will certainly fit that bill.

The myth that a Naim pre is required is exactly that - a myth!

A Naim 140 though, is never going to be able to drive compasses very convincingly.

A variant of an exposure IV might be a good low budget option.

Thanks are the compasses tricky to drive? I know the obs are, but thought the compasses more straightforward?

Thanks are the compasses tricky to drive? I know the obs are, but thought the compasses more straightforward?
A 140 will drive them but will be working its little socks off.
If its a old one in need of a service? You won't be doing yourself any favours.
I would use the Hugo with headphones and save up for a amp that can do it justice or find a quality pair of speakers that are easy to drive.

Anything fairly powerful with good control.

Pairs of CB 135's can occasionally be had for around the 1K mark and they would do splendidly.

A big Nad would do at a pinch and could be fairly cheap.

The bigger exposures (but certainly not the VIII or similar size)

The Bryston 4b or derivatives

Linn Klout

Tag McLaren or Audiolab monoblocks

Bigger NVA's

Avondale S100 or above

Anything Gamut or Plinius make

Old Krell KSA50 or 100

Whatever floats your boat really, but you're realistically looking to spend about a grand.

No too confused with the single PS running both channels.

maybe a 250 - 2

or a 160?

Barry , you clearly have no idea how good these sources actually are. They live in CD 555 territory.

Personally I would go Avondale to start with. There are a few people selling NCC200 based amps in the classifieds. £600 is probably the entry point and you'll get that back when you sell.

No too confused with the single PS running both channels.

maybe a 250 - 2

or a 160?

Barry , you clearly have no idea how good these sources actually are. They live in CD 555 territory.
Are you seriously saying i don't know how good the Chord Hugo/TT/Qute2 and Dave are as sources?
Don't tell me i clearly have no idea.
They don't live in CD555 Territory even with two DR 555 PSUs.
They all sound better.

I think you might have totally missed the point mate.
I was posting regarding a power amp that can drive the OPs speakers.

But Barry, if you've ever owned a old style 250 you must appreciate its limits surely?

It just isn't good enough in that league. Sure it will drive the speakers but the benefit of the Hugo will be lost.

Perhaps you appreciate the benefits of the Hugo but perhaps not the limitations of the lesser Naim power amps.

Clarity with enough grunt is everything here, but not grunt over clarity.

But Barry, if you've ever owned a old style 250 you must appreciate its limits surely?

It just isn't good enough in that league. Sure it will drive the speakers but the benefit of the Hugo will be lost.

Perhaps you appreciate the benefits of the Hugo but perhaps not the limitations of the lesser Naim power amps.

Clarity with enough grunt is everything here, but not grunt over clarity.
You might as well talk in riddles.
The OP clearly hasn't money to spend.
I know lots of people that use the Hugo and Qute2 in systems with Nap 200s/Black and Olive250s/300s/500s and Linn KKs.
My 10 year old son uses a Qute2 through a NAD in his bedrooms.
You enjoy your clarity.

Indeed, but his best bet is surely going to be monoblocks or amps with dual mono construction.

There are a lot of things that can do a reasonable job at limited budget. The older lesser Naim models are not his best bet.

Expo Dual IV for £500 maybe but if a grand is on the table a whole lot more.

There was a pair of NCC200 monos built by Malcolm in classifieds, but I bet they've gone They'd have been ideal for the money he has to spend.

Indeed, but his best bet is surely going to be monoblocks or amps with dual mono construction.

There are a lot of things that can do a reasonable job at limited budget. The older lesser Naim models are not his best bet.

Expo Dual IV for £500 maybe but if a grand is on the table a whole lot more.

There was a pair of NCC200 monos built by Malcolm in classifieds, but I bet they've gone They'd have been ideal for the money he has to spend.
Give it a rest.
The OP doesn't have 500 squid to spend on a amp.
If he did he wouldn't be looking at old Nap140's

advertisement

Back